• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does the wind negatively effect your flight, downwind?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Since I live in the US and play mostly in the evenings, I almost never play in the wind. When I do, its a mess. Anyway, the wind knocking the ball down when you're hitting right into it makes sense. But, I seemingly have the same problem downwind. I played a 36 hole tourney on Saturday. 20-25 mph wind all day. One hole is 200 yard, downhill to the tune of at least a club. Wind is behind me, consistent and hard. I have 205 to the pin. I think 6 iron, but take the 5. 5 iron is about 180-185 for me. Nut it, dead solid perfect. Straight as an arrow. Perfect. And 5 yards short, of the front edge. No way it went more then 180. WTH? This happened a number of time to me that day, and every time I play in the wind. I am lucky to hit it my normal distances downwind. I have a really, really high, low spin ball flight. I don't know if the wind just knocks it out of the air, or what. Anyone have this problem, or have any ideas?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Hitting a shot downwind definitely affects the carry of the ball. The ball generates less lift from spin just as an aircraft's wings generate less lift flying downwind. Of course if you hit the ball high, then the wind will also add some carry too based on the trajectory of the ball generated from the launch angle and height of the ball.

We play in a lot of wind here in Kansas and one of the first things you learn is to play a lower trajectory, lower spin shot (both upwind and downwind) to get a more consistent and dependable flight of the ball.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
That is wierd. I have never heard of downwind affecting the ball like that. I played in some strong wind the other day and hit a drive 396 downwind. Also had a gap wedge go 168.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've been feeling like I hit the ball perfect and finding it to be quite short as well, Clug. For me I think I'm sort of "scooping" at the ball and managing to nut it from that position.

To answer your question, hitting downwind will only affect the ball in the following way:

-Less lift generated by backspin (MGP was right on with this). You should, I would think, get a little more rollout since the ball will be coming down at a slightly flatter angle. But if you're hitting with a 20mph wind, it's like the ball leaving the club wth 20mph more speed.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Playing in the winds of northeastern Oklahoma all the time, I can tell you the "downwind" shots tend to knock the ball out of the air more than it helps, most of the time for me anyway. 20-30 MPH winds are pretty much the norm around here. Last week we were gusting up around 35-40... talk about tough playing conditions, it was unreal.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I know for me playing in the wind wrecks my tempo and my swing suffers. Perhaps that's what is happening to you. Also, the wind you feel on the ground may not be what the ball is finding 60 feet in the air.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online