• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does this bother anyone else?

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
Maybe i'm just a grouch but I have seen this twice now and it ticks me off. I was in a golf store today looking at some golf balls when a salesman who was helping someone with putters comes over and opens a box of golf balls to let some guy practice a putter with. What if someone grabbed that box only to find he's a ball short? Last year a salesmen was bouncing a golf ball then put it back in a box that I had picked up thinking about buying. Just a warning, grab a box from the back from now on.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I can see your point a bit. However, I let guys use their ball of choice to test putters in my shop. They need to feel how the putter will feel with the ball that they use, but I get sleeves from my sales reps and don't take them out of a box on the sales floor unless it is the last resort. I figure that a couple of putts won't hurt the ball...now if they were using wedges that would be a different story.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I picked up a box of balls today at Target that had a sleeve missing. I guess someone had stolen them? So checking inside is always a good idea.

divotDan

Golf Jeckyll & Hyde
Jan 16, 2009
I have found cheapo balls in Titleist PR-V1 boxes at Target. Best to check before the checkstand.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have found cheapo balls in Titleist PR-V1 boxes at Target. Best to check before the checkstand.
Yeah, word to the wise, don't worry about grabbing from the back. Anytime you buy golf balls, I would open them to assure they are correct. Not to uncommon for people to take out say ProV1's and put them in a dozen of cheap balls. Not to uncommon for people at the register to not check. Even worse than missing a ball would be getting home to find that dozen of ProV1's you bought contain a dozen Nitro's. I always open them and at least check the name through the clear part.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Most of the balls I buy these days has the ball section shrink wrapped to prevent this. I still check them though and have for years. This is not a new problem.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
not sure I've ever actually really bought balls from a store. meh. I guess once or twice....but it was when I was working in said store.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I usually check, until recently when I buy them online.

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
I've never seen Pro Vs at Target here in Ohio, but I guarendamntee ya that I check the package of every purchase I make and my wife and Kids do also. If the box has been opened or unsealed your asking for another trip back to the store. Same with clothes and shoes. Check clothes for rips and flaws and check the shoe box to make sure some irresponsible retard didn't put 2 shoes of different sizes back in the box. The older you get, the wiser you get, the fewer trips back to the store you make.

🔥 Latest posts