• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Doh!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So, as some of you may know, I've been bugging the girl to golf with me. I really wanted her to play, and she finally after two years of nos, relented.

As an early Christmas gift, my I got her some starter clubs. Since she (good on her), felt that irons and short game were the most important part, we got her a really nice set of Adams. And pink, for her, of course. Anyway, I also got some of those Wilson Hope series for her woods, which I really liked because it supports breast cancer, just like my putter grip.

So yesterday and the day before we hit balls. She can really hit. For a beginner, never golfing before, her drives are about 125-150. Nothing impressive, but for her first few swings, and her being about 100 pounds and 5'2", I was impressed. She has a really solid shoulder turn, and a strong but quiet lower body. Sure, kinks need to be worked out, some major, some minor, but she's pretty good.

So I decide to see how her salt is. I take her to a shorter nine hole course, each par 4 is anywhere from 310-350. Two par 3s, one par 5. Well, a few shots really impressed me on her part. One, I told her about the bump and run which I had coached her before on. She just kind of la-di-daad it, and bam, about 6 inches from the cup. I was suprised. Another shot was about 40 out with her sandwedge, and she stuck it to about 3 feet! And I mean, she actually bloody stuck it!

On a par 35 9 holes, she shot 49. This was her first nine. I'm levelled. Really.

I had a decent day, but I just had to brag about my girl. I better watch out though.

5iron

Wow thats skill, did she do it without any mulligans or anything? Either way good job on her part, and yours, since you were the instructor. Oh yeah, and i respect you for helping get rid of breast cancer.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
She probly practised a bunch behind your back to impress you and is not telling you about it;).

If so don't spoil that one though, either way good on her and congrats on finding a new playing partner:p

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
She has a really solid shoulder turn, and a strong but quiet lower body. Sure, kinks need to be worked out, some major, some minor, but she's pretty good.

Sorry - too early in the morning to resist.

That's an awesome performance for her first time out. Do you think she's going to get hooked on the game? That'll be great for the two of you.

Congrats.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Wow thats skill, did she do it without any mulligans or anything? Either way good job on her part, and yours, since you were the instructor. Oh yeah, and i respect you for helping get rid of breast cancer.

One mulligan on a duffed drive. So it legit would have been around 50-51, but still not terrible. :D

Sorry - too early in the morning to resist.

That's an awesome performance for her first time out. Do you think she's going to get hooked on the game? That'll be great for the two of you.

Congrats.

Eracer, is any day of the week too anything too resist? :p

She already is hooked. She told me this morning, "When I get off of work meet me at the range."

$2 Nassau

Jun 4, 2007
That's awesome.

If my wife took a little more time on and around the greens, she'd be kicking my butt.

Sometimes she strikes these super-crisp irons shots that just leave me speechless. She's fun to play with too, couldn't give 2 craps about her score which helps me to relax as well.

5iron

dude im kinda confident should could beat me if i had mulligans lol :laugh:, not kidding...:laugh:

Snowman

Aug 6, 2007
Wow, that is exciting. For the first time out, she shot a really respectable score. If I played her, I would have to get some strokes.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
jeff, you are a good coach.. and you know how to pick a woman... 2 admirable traits.. :)

dont get into giving her tips at all, you dont seem like the person to do that, ive seen relationships ruined that way..

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
jeff, you are a good coach.. and you know how to pick a woman... 2 admirable traits.. :)

dont get into giving her tips at all, you dont seem like the person to do that, ive seen relationships ruined that way..

Haha, :D Thanks

I only help when she asks for it.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The other guy she's seeing must take her out to the range too. :D

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
That's great. I'm like 2$ Nassau--if my wife practiced, I couldn't keep up with her.

I really enjoy playing with . . . playing around with . . . playing GOLF with my wife (and the other things, too.) :laugh:

She's going to be playing great golf soon. Better keep an eye over your shoulder.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
If this is a serious GF you've made a really smart move. No more dumb ass dates, go golfing instead. She wants to go shopping together, hit a couple of golf stores. Going on vacation together, find a place with a great course. You can even throw in a spa day for her. Spend $500 on a new driver, she'll understand. The only drawback, she'll probably want one too.

BTW - It sounds like you bought a decent set of starter clubs. Also a good move. My wife started with a cheapo dept store set and quickly got frustrated and nearly gave up the game. Only after I convinced her to buy a good set of clubs did she play well enough to take a serious interest in the game.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.