• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dominate eye putting

Andy299

Jul 16, 2007
Shouldn't matter as it has to do with your eyes and not your hands, although I further like the link that I found and linked above. Using a toilet paper roll. I just used to shoot rifles competitively from the time I was 11 and found out about eye dominance years later. They gave the example of using the fingers. I never understood why I shot a rifle left handed when I was right handed, and did so with such accuracy. At the age of 11 it just seemed to make more sense and I didn't know why. Once I found out about eye dominance it became much easier to understand. I use the same methodologies while putting as I did while shooting a rifle, all the way down to regulating my breathing. Although when I shot a rifle you would learn to do so in between heartbeats, something I never took to as much depth on a golf course. :)

Here is the link:
GOLFONLINE - See The Perfect Putt

The article referred to above states "Golfers who are right-eye dominant tend to see the hole to the right of its true location. The reason is that they set up with their right eye too far inside the ball and the target line."

I fail to see why would that be the case even though it is possibly true.

I repeated the test with the toilet roll and still appear to be left eye dominant. I set up square to the line of the putt with both of my eyes over the intended line of my putt. However, I can still miss putts on either left or right of the hole. I think it depends on where my head is positioned over the intended line of the putt and in relation to the ball. That is if my head is further right than whatever the ideal position would be the further left of the hole I hit my putt and the closer my head is to the hole over the intended line of my putt the further right I miss it. When I make the putts my head presumably is in the correct position over the intended line. At least this is my assumption.

I also assume that the further I am away from the hole the less of the angle error I create with not quite correctly positioning my head over the intended line, hence missing less puts from further away.

I just came back from the course and did quite a bit of testing. The above still holds true in my case (that is my head position tends to influence the line I start my putt and as such either I make it or I miss the hole left or right.

Does this make sense to you guys?

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Your explanation is why I am, at times, uncomfortable over putts. I have difficulty seeing the line between my putter face to the spot I've chosen. It seems to shift as I move my head from the putter to the target. When this happens confidence in the stroke is not engendered. Years past I compensated by becoming a spot putter. Putting over a spot a foot or so beyond the ball however this caused a distance control issue.

Andy have you tried spot putting for those short ones within the leather?

Andy299

Jul 16, 2007
Your explanation is why I am, at times, uncomfortable over putts. I have difficulty seeing the line between my putter face to the spot I've chosen. It seems to shift as I move my head from the putter to the target. When this happens confidence in the stroke is not engendered. Years past I compensated by becoming a spot putter. Putting over a spot a foot or so beyond the ball however this caused a distance control issue.

Andy have you tried spot putting for those short ones within the leather?

No. I only do that on the longer or long putts. If a short putt is not straight and I have to start the putt outside of the hole Yes, but on straight ones I just try to pull my left wrist towards the hole.

By the way, just came back from golf, had 35 points, missed only one fairway with my new driver and had several birdie putts, but only made one. However, managed to three put four greens on each nine. It is really sole destroying. Seven of the eight three putts were lip outs and left me with less than three inches for my third putt.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
The article referred to above states "Golfers who are right-eye dominant tend to see the hole to the right of its true location. The reason is that they set up with their right eye too far inside the ball and the target line."

I fail to see why would that be the case even though it is possibly true.
I really provided the article more because it related to the initial post on setting up over the dominant eye, and showed how to test for eye dominance.

So I am not sure I really understand why it cause you to set up to the inside, nor am I sure I buy into that part. Although I have read numerous articles regarding the part on missing to the right and over correcting. I have always been more of the opinion as I stated earlier, that I would imagine it comes into play more when you read the putt.

Unless you read the putt while standing over the ball. It is very simple to test if you are properly over the ball, and one of the first things I learned while putting, so I am not sure I would buy into that either. Kinda seems like they should have provided more information.

Sherry

Jul 30, 2007
Dominant eye putting

Sounds good- one thing i noticed, after lining up the ball towards the hole, when i stand over it to putt- the alignment looks off to the left- so gotta be something with the eye line. Will try DE putting and feed back:hunter:

🔥 Latest posts