• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Don't let people borrow your clubs if...

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
You arent positive they can make good contact!!! LOL Let my buddy try my new(ish) driver that I just got a couple weekends ago (Cobra S2). His shaft looked real whippy so decided to let em try it out...and he somehow hit it off the top edge/corner of the face where it meets the top of the driver. He said he had had it teed up too high, but that my drivers shaft was longer (which it is). And it put a series of deep gouges (through the paint) that you can feel when u run your fingernail across them. Siigh, last time i let anyone use my clubs, rofl.

Anyone else have this happen? Frustrating, but not really much I can do about it now!!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I was just talking to my bestest ever friend XAMILO the other day about how I feel like letting someone use your clubs is like letting someone wear your underwear to me. He disagreed with the magnitude of my analogy, but I'm very paranoid about anyone using something of mine that I feel is very important to me; like a custom golf club that would not be a simple thing to replace.

In that sense it's not like underwear at all, besides it being such a personal thing.

I was letting a buddy try out a driver sometime last year that he was thinking about purchasing. About the 15th shot he put a big dent/skymark right in the top of it. Sold!

So yes, unless it's somebody whom I deeply respect and appreciate (and who'd probably have the good sense to be very careful with it, or replace it if something happened), I don't let people swing my stuff. I don't ask to swing theirs, either. I really have absolutely no desire to hit anybody else's golf clubs, nor do I desire to wear anyone else's underwear.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
If i was at their house and i crapped my pants I might take them up on the offer for a fresh pair though. LOL

Serious note I don't usually like using peoples clubs either, for fear something like that will happen, or that the shaft is messed up and my hit will be the one to snap it or somethin crazy, lol.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
NO PERSON will ever use my clubs! I've had two experiences that cost me clubs. Should have learned the first time. Some of us, however, are slow learners. After the second time, NO MORE!!!
The early Taylor Made Pittsburgh Persimmon drivers had an idiocincracy. If you made contact right on the heel of the club, the torque would bend the shaft right above the hosel. Allowed a playing partner to use a brand new... first round... Pittsburgh Persimmon on the 4th hole. Sure enough, he caught it on the heel and the driver never made it one complete round. A few years later, I had just put one of the Killer Bee drivers in the bag. Those came standard with like a 47" shaft. Again... playing partner wanted to hit it. The longer than normal shaft saw him catch the ball right on the hosel and the shaft snapped.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Ya, i def will not let anyone use one again....even if they say theyll buy it if they break it, cuz you know how thatll go...oh u didnt expect me to really buy it!? siigh lesson learned here. Not the end of the world, just sucked looking down at the odd gouges right next to the cobra symbol...so i painted it black with some black nail polish, up close it looks a lil off, but standing over the ball its not too noticeable anymore.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
My non-golfing little brother wanted to borrow my clubs to go on a booze-fest outing with some of his cronies. I told him I would feel more comfortable with him borrowing my wife. Abosofukinlutly not, no, fuggetaboudit.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
The L4V in my bag was for sale before I went on vacation last year. While gone the house sitter decided to pull it from the garage and go play in the net in the back yard. A half dozen sky marks and a couple of paint chips greeted me when I took it out to take extra pictures for a potential buyer. At that point it became mine forever, because in this condition it' probably worth 50 bucks, and it's worth more than that to keep.

Turns out the kid probably did me a favor - since putting it back in the bag I've hit between 11 and 13 fairways every time out.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Yep, sorry just doesn't cut it.

... and the lesson should go both ways. To illustrate - a few years back I was going snow skiing for the first time. A mate offered his ski gear for me to borrow. I initially turned him down but he wouldn't let up. "It's packed away doing nothing" he said. I agreed. Anyway, the stuff was old. The lens in the goggles cracked for no reason one day when using it. The gloves had started to perish & didn't hold up for the trip. So, courtesy of me, my mate gets a new pair of goggles and ski gloves. That's the last time I'll borrow anyone's sporting equipment.

🔥 Latest posts