• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dr. Strangeswing, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love My Swing

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Alright, I decided to take me camcorder out to the course with me the last tie I played. First I set it up on the range as I warmed up. Then I had a buddy film me while I was hitting full shots on the course. The course was pretty much empty, so we didn't hold anybody up (he brought his too). This was something we had always talked about but never got around to.

Anyway, when I got home, I was excited to see my swing, especially since I had been "working on my game" for a few weeks to improve my irons and had hit some really good shots that day. Just so everyone knows, this was done in the name of science, and not out of narcissism.

But what I saw was essentially a stranger wearing my clothes, playing with my clubs, and using my voice to make dorky remarks. I couldn't believe my swing looked like that (imagine if John Daly's and Jim Furyk's swings had a baby, and the baby had vertigo). Well, I was depressed to say the least. In my mind's eye I had a fairly text book swing, on plane with nice tempo, but on film I was, to quote David Feherty, "like an ostrich trying to open an umbrella in a phone booth."

Well, a few days have passed, and I have come to accept that I may never have a "nice" swing, but that's okay. For every Adam Scott and Sergio Garcia there is a Jim Furyk or Lee Trevino. So hackers of the world, embrace your chicken wings and flying elbows, so long as they get the job done.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Nothing wrong with a flying elbow as long as you make square contact.

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Nothing wrong with a flying elbow as long as you make square contact.

Word to that. The best golfer in my squadron had the ugliset swing, even worse than mine. But the clubface started and ended at the ball in the same position. Kind of like the ugly car that never fails to start and gets great gas mileage.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Interesting thoughts and insights there MAA. years ago I was told by several strangers that I had a nice looking swing. But over time I have gotten to where my hands get farther and farther away from the body, my grip more and more to the "stronger" position. I have gotten to the point where the club and right (leading) arm (I am left handed) are almost a straight line to the shoulder. looks bad. But I am striking the ball better and better. 150 yds is a solid 8 iron, not a hard one. The only ill effect of this may be in regards to backspin, but cant say even that is true as my low irons and wedges do often stop if not back up.

I had been thinking about making a real effort to improve my form, but also wonder if that will only make "not bad" into "oh chit".

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
It's not HOW, it's HOW MANY!! Furyk, Trevino, Ray Floyd, Charles Coody... This game has made quite a few with less than textbook swings quite wealthy! Me, I don't have the textbook swing... or the money!! Still a fun game, though!

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
I have decided to take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. That said, while it may not be broke, I feel it can be improved. No drastic changes, just fine tuning.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I have decided to take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. That said, while it may not be broke, I feel it can be improved. No drastic changes, just fine tuning.

Thats exactly what you want to do. If you hit a 20 yard slice and do it everytime you hit a driver, then play it. If you have a consistent swing weather it is ugly or what not at least you know where your ball is going to go. Consistency is everything!

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
The 2nd best player in the world has a bad swing, it's just repeatable. And the thing we are all looking for as golfers is repeatability.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I am technilogically retarded. I need to figure out how to upload video from my camcorder to my computer. Trust me, it is a sight to behold.
Get your USB cable, plug into the USB port in the computer and the other end into the camcorder. Then uploadthe video onto YouTube and then show it here

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I'm probably leaving out some very worthy candidates, but this gets my vote as the best titled thread of the year. Hilarious.

And I'd like to see that swing, too. I enjoyed TGC's "Worst Swing" show earlier this year. He had a repeatable swing, too, it just didn't work. (Come to think of it, so do I.)

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
I'm probably leaving out some very worthy candidates, but this gets my vote as the best titled thread of the year. Hilarious.

And I'd like to see that swing, too. I enjoyed TGC's "Worst Swing" show earlier this year. He had a repeatable swing, too, it just didn't work. (Come to think of it, so do I.)

You know, I actually spent more time coming up with the thread name than actually posting the thread. It's nice to see my hard work is not going unappreciated.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.