• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dresser for my daughter

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
A while back I mentionned to EZ that I couldn't go down to RI to play since I was tied up finishing a project for the other lady in my life. This was by far my most challenging project to date - especially since the joinery is exposed. it's not perfect, but heck it's not supposed to be, I'm a software engineer LOL

Here it is, 3/4 birch and maple - this thing weighs a freaking ton - I don't think you'd want to be lifting this by yourself EZ :D

as127.photobucket.com_albums_p158_VTDivot_Dresser1.jpg

as127.photobucket.com_albums_p158_VTDivot_Dresser2.jpg

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I know nothing about wood working so take this with a grain of salt, but that looks pretty damned professional to me. Way to go.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Great! Bet She loves it!

I am also a bit into woodworking. Just toooo HOT in the garage for it now.

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Well SWMBO was about to buy a bunch of shelving for my son's room, and I just couldn't let her do it LOL. So the last several weekends have been spent building this monster.

as127.photobucket.com_albums_p158_VTDivot_CamShelving.jpg

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
With tools and talent, you can really bring things to life. Well done, C.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nice work man.

and if you ever move... don't call me, lol.
icon10.gif

I actually have one of the heaviest pieces of furniture I've ever moved in my front parlor. 6'8" armiour made of 1-1.5" solid oak. It's a 2piece on a 2ft. base. The top weighs more than a spinnet piano so has to be pushing 400lbs.. I had to get the top on the base with just my GF to help. I ended up tipping it over till my knuckles were an inch off the ground, had her push the base against it then tip it up. I lifted as hard as I could and it popped right up on. Thank goodness because if that fcker went sideways it might have ended up in the basement.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Hmmm....do you mind some constructive criticism?

A for effort.

Couple of things you should think about to clean it up.....counter top...there should be one between the upper and lower units....covers the seams between the lower cabinets and gives a nice clean, consistent look.

Also....face frames.

1 1/2" frame all around the uppers likewise clean up the look. You want to minimize visible joints as much as possible. if you don't want face frames then stagger the depth....14 inch end units and a 12 inch center...for instance(or vise versa).

Finally, screw the units together using color matched screw caps to cover the heads....screw this unit to the wall! You do not want a child pulling it over, ever.

:)

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Hmmm....do you mind some constructive criticism?

A for effort.

Couple of things you should think about to clean it up.....counter top...there should be one between the upper and lower units....covers the seams between the lower cabinets and gives a nice clean, consistent look.

Also....face frames.

1 1/2" frame all around the uppers likewise clean up the look. You want to minimize visible joints as much as possible. if you don't want face frames then stagger the depth....14 inch end units and a 12 inch center...for instance(or vise versa).

Finally, screw the units together using color matched screw caps to cover the heads....screw this unit to the wall! You do not want a child pulling it over, ever.

:)

I totally agree with the face frames concept had this been a bookcase. The last bookcase I built had them:

as127.photobucket.com_albums_p158_VTDivot_workshop_IMG_1627.jpg

But this project was intended to be more of a cubby system. I did trim them out a little thicker on the top and bottom edges 1 1/4 if you look closely.

As far as screwing them together. I ordered a bunch of these, just waiting for them to arrive. I have used them before and they work great.

Connector Bolts - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.