• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drill advice please

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Does anyone have a good drill to practice releasing the club head? After playing this whole season puking out 230 yard drives and hitting 7 iron from 150, I have figured out what is going on. I've been playing this hold on cut all year, and I'm sick of it. I'm tired of bunting when I know I'm capable of hitting it a long way. Yesterday, I put a good swing on one, and hit it 305 yards. No BS, skycaddie verified. Now, how do I do that again? Golf can be fun that way.

Jaywun

Feb 23, 2010
I had a similar issue a few yrs. back. Lost yardage throughout the bag can be caused by many things. I'll just tell you what my issue was. A teaching pro friend of mine had some time and right away noticed I was losing shaft angle at impact. I was (without realizing it) allowing the clubhead to pass my hands at impact, almost like trying to help the ball in the air. After he straightened me out. I got all my distance back with 50% power. I was so excited. Of course I have different issues now. But thats golf!

TigerBait

"Straight and True"
Oct 6, 2010
Obviously there are many things you can change to address the ball differently. However, the drill I used to correct my cut/slice with driver was to swing shallow through your down swing. Distribute weight left foot 25% - right foot 75% to left foot 90% - right foot 10%. This will keep your ball low and when struck correctly will create a very nice draw on the ball. After swinging like that and connecting well for awhile go back to what is comfortable and your drives should look and feel a lot better. Cheers.

beermug

Gawwwwn
Aug 25, 2010
Does anyone have a good drill to practice releasing the club head? After playing this whole season puking out 230 yard drives and hitting 7 iron from 150, I have figured out what is going on. I've been playing this hold on cut all year, and I'm sick of it. I'm tired of bunting when I know I'm capable of hitting it a long way. Yesterday, I put a good swing on one, and hit it 305 yards. No BS, skycaddie verified. Now, how do I do that again? Golf can be fun that way.
you figured it out,good for you,all it took was patiance and you did it,with a couple of little changes here and there you seem to have really found your forte,and yes golf can be fun that way,so keep it up and enjoy the game

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I like Milwaukee and Rigid for power tools....Rigid has a lifetime battery, parts, and labor, replacement deal on their stuff if you send in the card like you're supposed to....but Milwaukee always fits my hand better...

Wait...wrong drill?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I like Milwaukee and Rigid for power tools....Rigid has a lifetime battery, parts, and labor, replacement deal on their stuff if you send in the card like you're supposed to....but Milwaukee always fits my hand better...

What are you talking about? Everyone knows DeWalt makes the best drills.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
a 150 yard 7 iron aint that bad, more than good enough to play top scratch

the 230 drives also are only 10% away from scartch golf

both of these could be fitness, poor equipment choice, ball anything

it it isn't that bad. Those exact stats were the average for most touring pros upto about 1990

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Fools. Makita for cordless, Milwaukee for corded.

Oh, and thanks Dave. I'm still a puss.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Quityerbitchin' - a 230 yard drive would be downright vagipubic.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Fools. Makita for cordless, Milwaukee for corded.

Oh, and thanks Dave. I'm still a puss.

Not a big fan of Makita...job i had was contracted with Makita for all their power tools and we had tons of problems with them.

Everything from motor failures, chucks just falling apart for no apparent reason, batteries would get hot to the point you think their going to melt....

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Not a big fan of Makita...job i had was contracted with Makita for all their power tools and we had tons of problems with them.

Everything from motor failures, chucks just falling apart for no apparent reason, batteries would get hot to the point you think their going to melt....

Hmmm, interesting. I have the lightweight 18v stuff (LXT I think) and I have run the piss out of that little impact for more than 3 years on the original 2 batteries and tool. I also have the Dewalt 36v stuff for cordless saws. I love it all.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Hmmm, interesting. I have the lightweight 18v stuff (LXT I think) and I have run the piss out of that little impact for more than 3 years on the original 2 batteries and tool. I also have the Dewalt 36v stuff for cordless saws. I love it all.

The Makita stuff was all before they had Lithium available(it was available, but not at the price point the company was willing to pay, plus it was a new technology at that point)

But its like any brand loyalty, you get a bad taste in your mouth and its hard to spend hard earned money on a tool by that name again.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I saw this on golf fix; and it helped me a bit.

Place a tee sticking out of the "V" of the top hand on your grip. Then when you swing make sure the tee is pointed straight down the target line after impact.

I liked this drill, because It helped me see the direction of the club face a little better (The Tee kinda represents the club face I guess)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Bestest drill ever!

cid_01a401c9a5e86c341c800301a8c0Perry.gif

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.