• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drills for putting

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Okay, I need some drills for putting, tips, etc..

and where do you guys position the ball in your stance when putting? Do you do a forward press with your hands blah blah blah, I need some help. I am not consistent at all.

Thanks everyone

jjgolfpro

Dec 6, 2007
The most recommended ball position is forward of center. I usually tell people to position the ball so their left eye (for right handed player) is over it. There is no exact science to putting. Usually you find something that works and stay with it. The key is to practice consistency. Position the ball in the same place each time, make same pre-shot routine, and try to make the same stroke. If you give some examples of what your problems are, it will be easier to suggest drills.

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I hit at least 12 greens every round, and I am usually on in 2 on most par 5's that are 570 or less. and even then my wedge game is good enough where I can leave my 3rd shots around 10 feet away most of the time and those are easy birdies. They make up for the 3putt bogeys.

Oh and JJ,

Well my speed is off quite a bit, and I think some of that is the offset in my putter, it doesnt " look " right anymore. Also I tend to pull the ball a little bit, and when I try to fix it I can push it badly haha.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Have you tried any different type of grip, WCG? I have been practicing the claw grip, and my accuracy and distance control improved straight away. Different types of grips can fix different flaws.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I don't mean to be rude but how can you be a 4 handicap and a poor putter?

We have a guy in our club who as of last season was a 3-4 hdcp,

From tee to green, about the best non pro I've ever seen....EVER.

But he cannot putt worth a damn. I've seen him countlessly drive par fours...and then three putt for par.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Well my speed is off quite a bit, and I think some of that is the offset in my putter, it doesnt " look " right anymore. Also I tend to pull the ball a little bit, and when I try to fix it I can push it badly haha.

Offset does not effect your speed or tempo...do the coin drill I recommended awhile back, and you'll be dropping putts like turds in a toilet.

jjgolfpro

Dec 6, 2007
For speed, look at the hole instead of the ball when you are practicing. You won't believe how much this helps with distance control on long putts. I don't know what type of stroke you have, but it helps if your putter head matches your stroke (straight back, straight through - face balanced putter or inside, out, in - heel toe balanced putter).

Check your path by putting a camera either in front of the hole or behind the back of your putter while you are practicing. This will help you identify what is happening.

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I have tried Slightly different grips, but the claw and a couple others makes me know that I will be getting Athritis* sooner haha.

Indacup, can you link me your coin drill post, i dont see it cause well im blind

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Maybe that weighting thing has something to do with it. Today I got my dad a suprize, he has an OLD OLD OLD hickory shaft putter, from the 1920's ish and the old leather grip came off a few years back, and he got it replaced with some pos. So today while I was getting my lies and lofts checkd I asked about it, $5 later brand new leather grips. Everyone was asking about it in the store.

Then I went to the putting green in the store just to give it a try.. Well I made 8 in a row and almost wanted to shoot myself. I may be using this thing next week, and Ill give it some game time tomorrow.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
jj, example of a face balanced and a heel toe balanced? Which would an Anser style (anybody's) be, or is it not that simple?

Not having putting problems, just never have really known which is which.

jjgolfpro

Dec 6, 2007
jj, example of a face balanced and a heel toe balanced? Which would an Anser style (anybody's) be, or is it not that simple?

Not having putting problems, just never have really known which is which.

Generally, mallet and center shafted heads tend to be face balanced. Heel toe is an Anser style or Zing head, among others. To check, balance the shaft of the putter on one finger at it's balance point. If the face is pointing to the sky, it's face balanced.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online