• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drive Straight & Hook Irons or Fade Drives & Hit Irons Straight

StallThePod

Aug 9, 2009
Hey, i was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem or if anyone has any tips.

If im driving well and straight, i hook my irons. And if im hitting my irons straight, im fading my drives. Its really frustrating as i can never have both!

Any help is much appreciated
Cheers
<!-- / message -->

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
I will give this one a shot. We are often taught that the swing is the same for all full shots. I think, in a general sense, that is close to true. In a more narrow sense, I disagree with it. The situation changes as the club used changes.

If you are driving straight with the driver and somehow swing the same way with a shorter iron, your club face will be closed at impact. You can get the irons to straighten out by moving the ball back in the stance, standing closer to the ball, swinging a little more upright, not taking the club back quite as far (limiting your turn), etc.

If the drive is a fade and the irons or straight, I would expect you are swinging the driver like the irons. In this case, however, you are making square contact with the shorter club. With the same swing, positioning of ball, etc. being used with the longer driver, there is not enough space to get the club face square. The open face at impact imparts slice spin on the ball. Moving the ball a bit foward in the stance, lengthening the swing a bit with more shoulder turn for example, will give you more time to get the longer club square by impact.

CP

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
I have the same problem, though it is not very severe. Thanks for that help, it makes a lot of sense.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I usually get the same prob. I just accept it, and naturally would play a fade with my driver and draw or even small hook with irons.... I try to shape most shots based on the hole and stuff though, so there are days my swing is just really confused... :).

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
The longer shaft of your driver makes it a little more difficult to square the face when your swinging hard. Also, your irons could have a bunch of offset and/or are closed, while your driver may have a more neutral face. IDK, just a guess.

beermug

Gawwwwn
Aug 25, 2010
Hey, i was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem or if anyone has any tips.

If im driving well and straight, i hook my irons. And if im hitting my irons straight, im fading my drives. Its really frustrating as i can never have both!

Any help is much appreciated
Cheers
<!-- / message -->
are you shooting to fast,try taking your time,get the posture in good form before making any type of shot,

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.