• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver advice needed

FastForward7

Reaction score
I was down at Fiddler's Green tonight trying out some drivers on the launch monitor and I've got a few questions. Let me first start by saying I'm a lefty which compounds my problem.

I just started back into golf a couple weeks ago and I've had an insane slice on my driver as well as not getting much height out of my shots. My irons are straight but my driver is just brutal. One of the employees there suggested I switch from a 10.5 to a higher loft. I tried out a 13* Sumo 2 5900 draw and it was arrow straight ball after ball.

So here's my dilemma, I really don't want to drop $400 on a new Sumo 2 and they said they couldn't get any of last years model. The could however get last years Taylor Burner Draw in 13* but they'd have to order it. I loved the way the 10.5 Burner I hit felt but I'm a little sketched out about buying a club I've never hit. I'd assume it would be good but who knows.

I've also been looking for last years Sumo 2 online but all I can find is the rounded back model and not the square backed one in a 13* draw. I'm told the square back helps a lot with stability??? I'm a little worried about this option because I've hit a few Sumo 2 and they feel dead and I hated how they felt. Honestly the worst driver I've ever shot. The 13* one I tried felt great, though. Go figure.

I also tried the Ping G10 in 12* and really didn't like it at all.

Anyway, if you actually read all this I thanks you. If you have any advice I thank you even more.

Take a look at the Integra Quadratic. It's available in lefty and 12°. The head is a bargain, it can be had for under $70. Match it up with a shaft that fits you and the grip of your choice and you'll have a dynamite driver for less than the Sumo2 and wayyyyyy less than a G10.

There are lots of good clubmakers online that can make one for you to your specs for a very good price. Talk to Rory at indacup golf -- they are a shottalk sponsor and a great company. I am pretty sure they carry the Quadratic head. He can assist you in picking a shaft that fits your swing and budget too.

I have one in my bag and it's a fairway finding machine. I built one recently for a friend (also a lefty) and he loves it too.

good advice from MGP

LyleG is a lefty clubmaker so he can probably offer some good suggestions too

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Although, I checked their website and while they do carry that head, they only list it for right handers so it's not looking good. Ah, the joys of being lefty.

Is the Sumo 2 5900 a square driver? If so try the Nickent 3dx square, it's about 2-3* close and really helped straighten out my slice. That and it's $99 bucks right now with a V2 shaft.

Check out the pro shop above. I think they had the 13º last years Sumo2. :)

Global Golf is where I always look first.... :)

I was looking there last night. In fact, I think I checked every golf shop on the internet last night. Problem with what they have is the square model only goes to 10.5 and the non-square models which I could get in a 13* only have regular flex shafts which doesn't work for me.

CosmosMPower, I did check out the 3dx last night. I would have ordered one in a heartbeat after reading the reviews but the 12* loft is righties only it appears. 10.5 is the highest you can get for a lefty.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys :thumbs up:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424