• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver buying strategy/optimizing

gsmith

Mar 14, 2008
Looking for something new and improved. So i'll probably take my old cracked driver to a big store and also to a custom club builder and see how things compare. my swing speed is so low (~80mph) that i'm not sure the regular shafts they have will be good for me. say i like the feel of last years Cleveland HiBore ($200, locally) and the simulator says i hit it the best. should i then look to reshaft it? get a shaft closer to what i presently have? which is also in tune with my irons?
A couple years ago i bought a Cleveland over a taylor made based on feel and the simulator. then at the driving range my old driver did much better. I'm sure that makes up half the sales in america. :confused: i'd like to avoid this again.

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I think cleveland woods feel like galvanized pipes hitting eachother, and Taylormade to be very soft.
How ever Taylormade ive noticed to spin higher than anyone else.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
you should be able to find a hibore for cheaper than that....

if you're patient and wise you should have no problem getting a good quality driver that is right for you for under $150 imo.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
if you're patient and wise you should have no problem getting a good quality driver that is right for you for under $150 imo.

Should be very easy to do. I picked up the Burner used from Nevada Bobs for $149. They always have a halfway decent selection between $100-150.

utahgolf

Just Getting Started
Nov 4, 2007
Northern Utah
Country
The best thing I ever did was go to our local fitting center (Uinta Golf) and grab a number of clubhead/shaft combinations until I found one that seemed to fit me the best. Then I was able to take the club that they suggested and go to the range to make sure it was something that would work for me.

Your shaft is a key ingredient to getting the most out of your setup. My advice would be to find a local fitting center, grab a few club heads that you like, and get started on finding one that is perfect or close to it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Clubfitter might not be a bad idea. I'll go find the link to a launch conditon model for you in a minute. Basically at @ 80mph. you need to get the ball up in the air, #1 most important thing. Spin will also be your friend at that speed. More than likely you'd be wanting to look into driver heads from 12-14* and something higher launching for a shaft, most likely a softer R or even a Senior flex. At that Swingspeed you'll see a drastic difference in distance between a combo that's set up well for you and one that's not.

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Yet another completely ludicrous observation.

Dude whats your problem lyle.. from all the drivers Ive hit, I spin my Burner, and other Taylor Made's more than ANY OTHER, how is that Ludicrous observation.

When I miss hit my burners i have reached 4800RPM
Nothing else have even come close, the Ping G10 was 3800-4000
Nike 5000, 3000ish,
Nike 5900, about the same a little less.
and the L4v I hit yesterday was right about 2800-3400

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Clubfitter might not be a bad idea. I'll go find the link to a launch conditon model for you in a minute. Basically at @ 80mph. you need to get the ball up in the air, #1 most important thing. Spin will also be your friend at that speed. More than likely you'd be wanting to look into driver heads from 12-14* and something higher launching for a shaft, most likely a softer R or even a Senior flex. At that Swingspeed you'll see a drastic difference in distance between a combo that's set up well for you and one that's not.

12-14* seems a little bit much? Maybe 10-12? but im not a fitter, and I dont know how his swing amd ball specs are on a monitor

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
OK. Here is the link Sonic Boom Golf

Also click on #3 to go to another model where you can just change with a dial and find your "optimal" conditions.

Now let me explain a few things for you. There is an equation for ballspeed, swingspeed and what is know as a "smash factor", which is basically how pure or solid a hit you put on it. To figure out your maximum ballspeed if you know swingspeed... lets say 80mph. swingspeed, you multiply 80 x 1.5 (1.5 is a pretty much a perfect hit) and you get a 120mph. ballspeed. So this equation works for dividing ballspeed by 1.5 to get swingspeed as well as dividing swingspeed into ballspeed to get the smashfactor... OK, still with me.
icon10.gif

Spin rate is how much backspin your ball has on it and launch is the angle the ball comes off the face at. These 2 factors are the ones you want to play around with to see how much further it will go. Now loft of the driver plays a much bigger role than the shaft but a shaft will effect the launch angle as well as the spin rate. I did a quick check and at a 120ballspeed an 18* launch with 3600 spin will go further than the same ballspeed with a 14* launch and only 3000rpm's of spin. Now that doesnt' mean you need an 18* driver. If you have an upward angle of attack (most of us do) with a driver then that will add to the launch angle, as well as a higher launch shaft, also will add to it.

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. There are several guys on here who are professional clubfitters who will be more than happy to answer any questions.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
12-14* seems a little bit much? Maybe 10-12? but im not a fitter, and I dont know how his swing amd ball specs are on a monitor

From what I have read, a lot of fitters recommend higher lofts in the 13-14º range for the slower swing speeds.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
gsmith,

First of all, with your name you should be looking at gear from Golfsmith. With that that out of the way:

Based on your swing speed number, and this is without knowing much else about your swing, I would agree that something around 13º or 14º of loft would be a good start for a driver. Most people in that swing speed range have an early release and place very little load on the golf shaft. WIth that I would thus recommend a shaft that is very flexible. Most R flex shafts will be too stiff at your swing speed. If you are looking to get your swing speed up a bit then a little lighter might be a good thing as well.
Here a few shafts I like for slow swingers, these are readily available at you guessed it, golfsmith.
Aldila Golf Shafts: NVS 55 Wood Shaft
this one would be fine in R flex.

Grafalloy Golf Shafts: Pro Launch 55 Wood Shaft
this one in A flex

UST Golf Shafts: Proforce V2 55 Wood Shaft
again A flex here

UST Golf Shafts: Proforce V2 HL Wood Shaft
and again A flex

Good luck

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

Jason Zuback launches the ball at 14*. If you are less than that, you are leaving big yards on the table.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007

Optimum launch angle for maximum distance for 80mph is 14-15* which should carry about 185 (per Tom Wishon's Common Sense Clubfitting)

Based on your swing speed number, and this is without knowing much else about your swing, I would agree that something around 13º or 14º of loft would be a good start for a driver. Most people in that swing speed range have an early release and place very little load on the golf shaft. WIth that I would thus recommend a shaft that is very flexible. Most R flex shafts will be too stiff at your swing speed. If you are looking to get your swing speed up a bit then a little lighter might be a good thing as well.

the difference between the 14-15* launch angle and the 13-14* head Lyle is suggesting is a little bit of positive Angle of Attack (hitting the ball slightly on the way up after the lowest point in your swing)

as usual, Lyle is right on - good luck

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.