• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver buying strategy/optimizing

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
the difference between the 14-15* launch angle and the 13-14* head Lyle is suggesting is a little bit of positive Angle of Attack (hitting the ball slightly on the way up after the lowest point in your swing)

This is why seeing his swing and a launch monitor is so important. He could also have a downward angle of attack which is common in high HDCP players, meaning to achieve a 14-15º launch angle a driver head of 16-17º may be needed. Really hard to say without hard data.

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Jason Zuback launches the ball at 14*. If you are less than that, you are leaving big yards on the table.

there is a big difference between the loft of the club, and the launch angle.

most people want to launch 13-15 like you said or else you loose yards, but I would think with 14* club, if you are catching it on the upswing like you are supposed to wouldnt you be launching it at 18 or even more?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada

most people want to launch 13-15 like you said or else you loose yards, but I would think with 14* club, if you are catching it on the upswing like you are supposed to wouldnt you be launching it at 18 or even more?

Not even close. The average tour pro hits the ball with about a 2º upward angle of attack, most amateur men range from 0º or level to 2º, many high hdcp players have negative angle of attacks. Long drive guys are a different breed and are not worth mentioning as no one here is anywhere near that league of club head speed.

For a good player with a 100 mph swing, a properly fitted shaft and a 1.5º up angle of attack you would get a scenario like this:

10.5º club head
1.5º forward tip deflection
1.5º upward angle of attack

this would add up to a launch angle of 13.5º

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States

Please let qualified club fitters give advice to those that need quality advice...and read LyleG's response right before the one i quoted(and now below), he explains why that degree driver would be good for a higher handicapper

GSmith: Follow LyleG's advice, hes is extremely knowledgable about the subject and will not steer you wrong. I am not going to suggest anything because LyleG has it covered and i do not pretend to be a club-fitter

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Not even close. The average tour pro hits the ball with about a 2º upward angle of attack, most amateur men range from 0º or level to 2º, many high hdcp players have negative angle of attacks. Long drive guys are a different breed and are not worth mentioning as no one here is anywhere near that league of club head speed.

For a good player with a 100 mph swing, a properly fitted shaft and a 1.5º up angle of attack you would get a scenario like this:

10.5º club head
1.5º forward tip deflection
1.5º upward angle of attack

this would add up to a launch angle of 13.5º

this may explain my over spinning..
Would this explain it?
107+- a couple clubhead,
10.5*loft
2.0+ attack angle?
It just makes more sense to me seeing the numbers fold out like that.
Being as right now my misses are cuts/fades and I loose 20yards compared to if i hit a draw.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
my suggestion would be to go to a clubfitter.. then try all the shaft/loft/head combinations and pick the champion...

with that being said, $200 is way to much to spend on the original hibore model. about a year ago, i picked one up for $71 brand new, so i would imagine that prices are about the same, if not less..

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
12-14* seems a little bit much? Maybe 10-12? but im not a fitter, and I dont know how his swing amd ball specs are on a monitor

He said his swing speed was around 80 mph. 11.5°-13° driver seems right in the ballpark to start with. Heck I hit a 11.5° driver and have a decent launch angle and spin and my swing speed is in the mid 90's (most of the time). Unless he has something odd about his swing, I'd start with a higher loft and work my way down.

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
Please let qualified club fitters give advice to those that need quality advice...and read LyleG's response right before the one i quoted(and now below), he explains why that degree driver would be good for a higher handicapper

GSmith: Follow LyleG's advice, hes is extremely knowledgable about the subject and will not steer you wrong. I am not going to suggest anything because LyleG has it covered and i do not pretend to be a club-fitter

Wow, let's just shut this forum down and allow only Lyle to post in it :laugh:

Anybody can give their opinion on these forums, it's not restricted to only club fitters. Without seeing data outside of club head speed, Lyle is only able to give advice based on the norm.

"he explains why that degree driver would be good for a higher handicapper" - No. He explains why that degree driver would be good for MOST high handicappers, not all of them, and maybe not good for the original post.

OP
G

gsmith

Mar 14, 2008
Driver buying

Lots of good info;
I bought my last set of clubs 6 years ago with a custom club fitter and never been happier. My launch angle must be good, b/c i get comments about how high my ball goes. I also tee it up hi and hit it on the up swing with a tiny draw, but minimal roll.
I think he must have set me up pretty well b/c with an 80mph swing i hit it 200-225yds, 72% of the time in the fairway, hcp of 14. Currently i have Toski Tough shot irons with TruTemper Steel Dynalite Gold R300. Driver is a snake eyes with 11* face, Trutemper Grafite ET-70 R-flex. How does this match up to the A flexes Lyle G mentioned. btw, never heard of an A flex. does that stand for Awfully slow?
thanks for the help.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A is a senior flex, can't have S for senior and stiff, that would get confusing, especially to the seniors.
icon10.gif
The shaft you have now is heavier and probably a bit lower launching than shafts Lyle mentioned. There are lighter and better shafts out there now that will help to pick up some more SS and better launch. Is the guy you originally went to still around? Sounds like he fitted you with a good one last time, should be able to get even better with all the newer technology out there now.

OP
G

gsmith

Mar 14, 2008
I just did the virtual launch thing at sonic boom. with the 80mph SS translating to 120mph BS, i was able to max out the yardage with a 25* launch angle and 2300 rpm. does this sound accurate. this gave me 205yds. With a 15* launch angle it was around 185 yds.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Spin rate, the X factor... you'd never be able to get the ball to launch 25* with that low a spin rate. That's the problem with that thing, it's impossible to get the launch #'s like on there and the low spin needed. You can see how launch helps though. If you can get to a clubfitter who has a launch monitor, that's the best bet. Then he'll know your launch and spin for sure and be able to get the best achievable setup.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I plugged in the numbers I got off the monitour at the Madison golf show & they are pretty much dead nuts for how far I actually drive the ball.

🔥 Latest posts