• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver fitting; an obersvation...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
One of the guys I played with yesterday desperately needed a driver fitting! He was playing a SasQuatch Tour 8.5* w/Aldila NV 75S; while this is not a bad combo, I thought it was all wrong for him. This guy swung hard and had a really quick transition, my guess would be that he was in the 110-115 range. The 75g NV may have been okay wrt weight and flex but what really made me notice that this was a bad set-up for him was that this guy just struggled to get the ball in the air (he hit a couple of nasty hooks too). He managed to finally really connect with one on 18 and it got out there a good ways but it still was a really a low launch and flight (a non-summer fairway and this ball wouldn't have gone anywhere near as far).

Now, I'm by no means a club fitter or expert of any kind but I've managed to pick up some good advice from this board and through my own trial and error (not to mention I stayed at a Holidy Inn Express last night... ;) ) Anyway, I couldn't help but thinking that this guy would be well served with a shaft change. I'd say stay in the weight category but go with a higher launch shaft and maybe even up a flex. The worst part is that he has no idea what he's missing; he says he likes the driver but he hasn't even really seen what this thing can do for him!

I didn't say anything to him but, boy, was I tempted!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Most golfers haven't got a clue what a proper driver strike should look like. Thus, they haven't got a clue that hoing clubs is the best way to find the magic driver. I feel for them...:faintthud

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've seen it a million times. My boss's son is playing the Superquad and stock Reax stiff. He is quite possbly the hardest swinger I've ever seen. He hit's a lot of huge, high hooks with it. It goes a mile but he loses a lot of balls OB left. I told my boss he needs and X flex in a lower launching shaft but to no avail yet. He did show up last time with a new set of MX-25's and X100's he'd been fitted for so I see I was not far off. I told him VS Proto 70-X. Either that or I'd get him a TP graphic 757-X pull for the thing.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Most golfers haven't got a clue what a proper driver strike should look like. Thus, they haven't got a clue that hoing clubs is the best way to find the magic driver. I feel for them...:faintthud

I've seen it a million times. My boss's son is playing the Superquad and stock Reax stiff. He is quite possbly the hardest swinger I've ever seen. He hit's a lot of huge, high hooks with it. It goes a mile but he loses a lot of balls OB left. I told my boss he needs and X flex in a lower launching shaft but to no avail yet. He did show up last time with a new set of MX-25's and X100's he'd been fitted for so I see I was not far off. I told him VS Proto 70-X. Either that or I'd get him a TP graphic 757-X pull for the thing.

It was an interesting day on the tee box actually as my 98-100mpn swing was by far the slowest of the foursome. However, no one came close to hitting as many fairways as I did. Their shots were a little further but all over the place!

It was also cool to see the effects of a different shaft and swing. The guy hitting the worm burners was using the same 8.5* of loft as my SQ Tour but there were HUGE differences in out ball flights!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Holiday Inn Express... haha, you rascal.

You could have given him the advice in a better way, like.. "You know, your swing, I think, is TOO powerful for that shaft you're playing..." Then he'd be plenty willing to listen to you, and probably eager.

And when he does change shafts, I got shotgun on that 75 S :)

Members online

No members online now.