• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver Loft Question

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
I'm currently using a Nickent 3DX Square at 10.5* loft, it has the stock UST V2 Regular Flex shaft in it.

I've found a well priced Adams XTD A3 at 9.5 * of loft with the stock Reg-flex shaft in it.

My question is, is that too low of a loft for me?

I believe my swingspeed is around 100-105 (I haven't been on a launch monitor in a couple months, and I have improved ALOT over these couple months) and I usually hit my driver around 225-235 consistently, with the occasional "bomb" to 250. I used to struggle with slices, but that problem has recently been fixed and I'm now a fairly consistent, straight (but short) driver.

I've tried this driver on a course, but in a 10.5, but that was also before my most recent improvements, and I hit it straighter than my current 3dx.

Sorry I don't have more information about my swing, but I'm still a beginner, and thanks to this site, an aspiring (budget) ho.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Not sure I would change to a 9.5 with your current circumstances if it were me. Although with a SS of 100-105 you may benefit from a stiffer shaft, even more so if you have a quick tempo. Other considerations to address the issue of control would be to trim the length of the shaft.

In the long run logic would only tell me that going to a 9.5* would increase control problems. Were if you have too flexible, or too long of a shaft it could more easily and more cheaply fix the issue.

Also logic would likely tell me that a distance of 225-235 may equate to a SS below 100mph, so that would definitely be something I would have checked prior to even changing the shaft. I use a 12* driver and have a SS in the low to mid 90's and equates to about 230 on a normal shot. 250 would likely equate to about 100mph and when I used to have a speed of 103 it would be around 265. Rule of thumb on a driver is 1mph = 2.5 yards in general. You are however looking at it in the right way that control is much more important that distance IMO. Although I am not sure going to a 9.5 with a reg flex is right in any sense. Even the thought of a 9.5 with a Reg flex shaft unless it is for someone with a very slow tempo seems like a misnomer.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
That UST V2 shaft is rather stiff as far as supposed regular flex shafts go, at least the one I had was. Felt like I was swinging a damn 2x4 instead of a club.

I agree with PA & wouldn't go with a lower loft, my swing speed is also mid 90's & using my Burner which is a 13º but it's been delofted a bit, my drives have been in the 230-250 range.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I would agree in not going to a lower loft. I have a 10.5, and although I haven't had it on the monitor, the flight looks bang on. This is coming off a Hibore XL tour 8.5. I think the XTD plays pretty true to loft. Do a little more searching, the 10.5 or 11.5 are out there. You can pretty much pick your loft and flex right now on Ebay for around $100. Heck of a deal for a solid offering.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd also say to stick with 10.5*. It's easier to hit than a 9.5* and will carry longer. I think there is more to lose than gain by dropping lofts with driver.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'd also say to stick with 10.5*. It's easier to hit than a 9.5* and will carry longer. I think there is more to lose than gain by dropping lofts with driver.

Listen to this, because between EZ and I, we have probably owned hundred's of drivers, and I think we are both learning the more loft lesson only now. The additional loft really helps when your swing is off, because its straighter and will still launch without trying to sweep or hit up on it. Also, you are not giving up much in terms of distance with slightly too much spin or slightly too high launch.

OP
twelvegage

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
thanks for the info guys =] not making the move

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
thanks for the info guys =] not making the move
While I like that decision I would still maybe give some consideration to possibly shortening the shaft in your existing driver to gain the consistency you are looking for.

Just trying to analyze what you mentioned in hitting 225-235 with the occasional bomb of 250. The 250 could likely be when you hit the ball on the sweet spot of the driver face. By shortening the shaft you may lose a couple yards but will find the Sweet Spot much more often. Do the math. 245-247 every shot possibly in losing a few yards and hitting the sweet spot every time????

Most drivers come with a shaft that is entirely to long for most golfers. Or as the common saying goes "If Tiger doesn't hit a 45.75" driver, what makes you think you can?" I would take the money you were planning to spend and go to a good clubmaker and spend about $20 or less and check out this option. It has made a huge difference in the game of everyone I have known that has done so.

BCP1011

Nov 1, 2008
I agree with the other guys as well. From my own experience and talking to other tourny players, lower lofted drivers are less forgiving, and to get any real distance out of them, you need to have a higher swingspeed. Its usually the hard swingers that are below 9* because their swings produce so much spin the ball balloons with any loft higher. Stick with the 10.5, its only going to help you.

OP
twelvegage

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
While I like that decision I would still maybe give some consideration to possibly shortening the shaft in your existing driver to gain the consistency you are looking for.

Just trying to analyze what you mentioned in hitting 225-235 with the occasional bomb of 250. The 250 could likely be when you hit the ball on the sweet spot of the driver face. By shortening the shaft you may lose a couple yards but will find the Sweet Spot much more often. Do the math. 245-247 every shot possibly in losing a few yards and hitting the sweet spot every time????

Most drivers come with a shaft that is entirely to long for most golfers. Or as the common saying goes "If Tiger doesn't hit a 45.75" driver, what makes you think you can?" I would take the money you were planning to spend and go to a good clubmaker and spend about $20 or less and check out this option. It has made a huge difference in the game of everyone I have known that has done so.
Thanks alot, I will probably go to the golfsmith sometime this week (who am I kidding, probably tomorrow) and see what they could tell me.

I have however found a deal on some Mizuno hybrids though =]

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I was always of the belief I "needed" a 9.5*. I even tried to hit 8.5's. To put it in perspective, I've played 8 rounds with the 10.5*. On the back 9 there are 3 par 5's. 513, 496 and 468 (uphill, plays as long as the 496). So that's 24 times playing all 3. On 21/24 times playing those holes I've been going for the green in 2. To add to that, I went to the shop last week. My swingspeed was 103-105. 10.5* is working.

OP
twelvegage

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
Yeah, this would've been more along the lines of it's a good deal on a good driver that's close to what should fit me, so why not.

But I didn't, I was strong =]

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.