• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver loft?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Hey, I have what may sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious. I'm playing with a HiBore XL driver in 10.5*, with the OEM regular flex shaft. I can hit the ball between 250-280 yrds, semi accurately. But my drives have no roll, the fall out of the sky like a rock, after a pretty high flight. Would I be better off with a 9.5*, or maybe trying a different shaft?

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I personally dont like any roll, they usually roll thru the fairway and into the rough, get on a launch monitor and they can get you a shaft that will either get you a lower launch angle for more roll or a higher launch for more carry

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I say diff shaft first.

NO, no, no. Always start with loft. Loft is 80% responsible for the launch of a shot with a driver. The shaft will only account for about 1*-2* of launch at the most. Loft first, tinker from there.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I agree with Lyle as well but the HiBore design doesn't help with roll either. The head shape is designed with a low deep COG which launches the ball high. The HiBore is a high moi designed driver if you want more run try a more traditional shaped driver head and see if that helps.

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
You have the Fit-On Gold, correct? I just bought the Fit-On Red, which they promote as a tour trajectory, and I get a pretty good rollout on my drives. Although if you generally put it out in the FW 250-280 yards I'm not sure I would want to mess with the setup too much.
Joey

Hey, I have what may sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious. I'm playing with a HiBore XL driver in 10.5*, with the OEM regular flex shaft. I can hit the ball between 250-280 yrds, semi accurately. But my drives have no roll, the fall out of the sky like a rock, after a pretty high flight. Would I be better off with a 9.5*, or maybe trying a different shaft?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I can hit the ball between 250-280 yrds, semi accurately. But my drives have no roll, the fall out of the sky like a rock, after a pretty high flight. Would I be better off with a 9.5*, or maybe trying a different shaft?

I think you have to ask yourself about course conditions first. Is roll really worth it? Everyone on golf forums seems to be looking for low hot shots that roll forever, but if you play soft courses, you'd be leaving distance on the table by not maximizing carry distance. The ball has the least resistance to it's forward motion when it's in the air - the longer you keep it in the air, the further it should go.

Also, if you drop the loft, the club will likely be a little harder to control (left to right) - most golfers hit higher lofted clubs straighter because it's easier to keep the backspin axis straight back (avoiding "sidespin")

you really have to get on a launch monitor and find out what your launch angle, ball speed, and spin rates are - to get roll you need to decrease your angle of decent - but there's a fine line - you don't want to cut carry distance by 30 yards to pick up 20 of roll, at least I don't

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Excellent advice from both Lyle and Rick.

YG and I play two different courses pretty regularly and they are similar in character (both kind of "old school" with smaller, elevated undulating greens) but also very different. One is longer and more open but still penalizes really errant drives. Wind plays a pretty big factor on the back nine of this course. Lower drives with roll out are a plus on that course. The other course is shorter but very hilly and the more driver carry you can get the better.

I would look for the driver combo that best suits where you play and how you naturally hit the ball.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks

Thanks everyone;
thank you all for your advice, I see now I'm going to have to get on the launch monitor and go from there. You've all made excellent points and I will take them all into account.

🔥 Latest posts