• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver loft

Trip

May 22, 2015
My first post! (Except my intro.)

After finally finding some consistency with my driver, I'm noticing my ball flight. It takes off like a rocket, then just drops out of the sky without much roll. Average 250 yards. I play a Ping G10 with 9 degrees of loft.

I'm thinking too much backspin. Some websites suggest going to a higher lofted driver.

Any thoughts?

Oh yea, I play a Srixon Q Star.

Trip

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
I was having a similar experience with my covert, but I had it set to 12.5°, I adjusted it down, now it's 8.5° and I'm bombing it again, instead of dropping out, it's sailing, like you'd expect, but also what I noticed is that the ball flight isn't too much lower, but it is a lot more flat

So adding loft isn't nessisarily the way to go, because depending on the CG of your driver, that could add spin, which is bad, another thing that could dictate weather to loft up or down is your swing, but that is a whole other thing. Like PapaD said, go borrow a track man.

OP
Trip

Trip

May 22, 2015
Can I get measured, and try different clubs/shafts without buying new? Is there a separate charge for testing clubs?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Can I get measured, and try different clubs/shafts without buying new? Is there a separate charge for testing clubs?

Any PING fitter (indoor or outdoor) has a cart with a selection of heads and shafts that are interchangeable as they fit you. Typically, there is a charge that is credited back to you if you buy a club(s). Dick's Sporting Goods will "fit" you indoors for free (I think), but you will be getting a fitting from a clerk who was selling kayaks the day before.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
G10 was a pretty solid driver. Sounds like maybe the shaft in the G10 isn't a good fit for your swing. Ping's website will have a list of certified fitters in your area. Try some different head and different shafts. See what the results are. If you find a change is in store, there are tons of options.

Good luck!!!

Keep in mind, 250 in the middle is much better than 320 in the woods. I played with the young flat-bellies this morning. They all outdrive me. You could almost build a WalMart between my short drives and theirs. I'll take my final score vs. theirs. "Never belittle a ball in the middle!"

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
What shaft are you using?

What ball are you using?

Lots more elements to explore before thinking its the loft of the driver. The two aforementioned variables can be tweaked a ton to make a 9* work its magic.

R35

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
My first post! (Except my intro.)

After finally finding some consistency with my driver, I'm noticing my ball flight. It takes off like a rocket, then just drops out of the sky without much roll. Average 250 yards. I play a Ping G10 with 9 degrees of loft.

I'm thinking too much backspin. Some websites suggest going to a higher lofted driver.

Any thoughts?

Oh yea, I play a Srixon Q Star.

Trip
I had the same issue with the G10. Sounds like too much back spin. Find a lower spinning shaft that you like and it will help. I put an Aldila rip'd VS Proto in mine and it helped a lot. Lots more roll and a flatter flight.

OP
Trip

Trip

May 22, 2015
Is it worth re-shafting a G10 or should I be looking at new drivers. Anyone hit the new Pings?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I play a G20 and love it! There are very good reviews out there of the G25 and G30 drivers. The G25 and G30 have some adjustability.

The beauty of finding a G25 or G30 is the ease of shaft change. You can find a plethora of shafts on ebay with the Ping shaft adapters installed. Again, find a Ping certified fitter. Hit the newer drivers with different shafts the fitter has in the Ping cart. You'll find that "magic" combo.

Where are you located, Trip?? U.S.?? If so, what state?

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
Is it worth re-shafting a G10 or should I be looking at new drivers. Anyone hit the new Pings?
If you find a deal on a pull on eBay I think so. The G10 is just as good as anything else today. Probably not as low spin as some models but forgiving and plenty long.

OP
Trip

Trip

May 22, 2015
Where are you located, Trip?? U.S.?? If so, what state?

I live on Long Island, but play most of my golf in Pennsylvania. I'm a teacher and spend most of my summer in Northeast PA.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online