• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver problems?

Par7

Elite Hack
Jul 25, 2008
As of lately, I've been spraying my driver alot. I recently understood the concept of lag, and how to increase swing speed. I went from and 89 to 99-110mph swing speed in about 5 months. At 19 years of age, and with those numbers, is a 10.5* Regular flex shafted driver too whippy?
Could this fact attribute it to my driver spray, which was not as much before I increased my speed?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
As of lately, I've been spraying my driver alot. I recently understood the concept of lag, and how to increase swing speed. I went from and 89 to 99-110mph swing speed in about 5 months. At 19 years of age, and with those numbers, is a 10.5* Regular flex shafted driver too whippy?
Could this fact attribute it to my driver spray, which was not as much before I increased my speed?
Not an absolute "yes," since the correct flex depends on more than just swing speed.

But a stiffer tipped shaft should help.

OP
P

Par7

Elite Hack
Jul 25, 2008
But a stiffer tipped shaft should help.

This is the first year I kinda took golf seriously and made it my #1 summer activity. I don't really understand the whole tipping thing, and really don't know much about shafts in general. I was of those narrow minded bunch that "a club is a club, the more expensive, the further and straigher, obviously. Shaft connects the grip to the head, but the high-tech heads are all the technology"

Care to give me a low down on "tipping" or stiffer "tips" or point me in the right direction?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Simply put it appears a stiffer shaft would reduce your dispersion based on your current swing speed. That's pretty high for a regular flex shaft. But Lyle will shortly tell you I'm full of it ( :D ) and he's the guy to listen to.. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Yes, Lyle is very knowledgable about shafts, as are a few others here. I'm a layman, but I think I have a good basic grasp of the fundamentals.

A shaft's flex used to refer to its resistance to bending when a weight was hung from the tip. But now it refers to its resonance frequency, and is measured with a device called a frequency analyzer. Simply put, the shaft is clamped at one position, a weight is attached to the tip end of the shaft, and the shaft is set into vibration. A stiffer flex will vibrate faster, thus having a higher resonant frequency.

Shaft frequencies are measured in several different places along the shaft by clamping the shaft at the butt, the middle, and near the tip. This gives a "profile" of the shaft's stiffness.

So now shafts are called butt stiff, tip stiff, etc. A shaft can be an overall regular flex, and have a flexible butt section, but be very stiff in the tip section.

The overall flex of a shaft should be tailored to how you load the shaft. Do you have a fast transition with a late release, etc? Tip stiffness has a lot to do with "feel" and dispersion characteristics. Only a good clubfitting session can answer the question "What shaft is right for me?" That, or as I've done, spend a ton of money buying different shafts in an effort to "luck out."

I think I'm right on most of this. If not, the other guys will correct me, and I will humbly acknowledge their superior wisdom regarding this topic...

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
i think u have it about right..although no 2 companies shaft flexs are the same..for instance graffaloy stiff could be adilia x-stiff, if u get what im sayin...another factor in shaft selection is ur trajectory..because of the kickpoint...a low kickpoint produces higher launch and a high kickpoint produces a lower launch angle...although they are minor differences ,not in any way like hitting a higher or lower lofted driver

🔥 Latest posts