• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

driver search & evolution

sidvicious

Reaction score
this thread is similar to some of the themes that surfaced in wbl's regarding his new tee driver powered by his new accuflex engine.

i too have experimented. i like the r7, but the smaller head. i don't really like the feel of those giant balloons on the end of the stick. so, after several clubs i went back to my r7. i departed for a while because i have a regular flex stock shaft in it, and my swing is speedy. i have a long slow takeaway, decent loading of the club, and relaxed downswing. most folks admire my form. my drives are 290 - 325.

when i'm hitting ok, i may fade by accident, but rarely slice. [i truly hope those days are over]. when hitting badly i hit directly left or occasionally a duckhook. most of this is likely due to a funky lineup.

so, i diagnosed my problems because we all want 100% accuracy and dependence, right?

so i needed a stiffer shaft. i took the r7 to the shop and did some investigation. the results surprised me.

shop dudes, all very experienced, basically told me that heads were heads. in other words, if i had no real directional problems, then any quality head of a particular loft was the same as the next one [assuming all are the same size].

i came home with a new driver, the macgregor 9* with a stiff aldila shaft.

it hits nicely. the regular flex shaft hit ok as far as direction, but i got much too much loft. the stiffer and heavier shaft brings the ball down to where it should be.

as i've said before i'm a new golfer, just having completed one year. i play a lot, do a lot of running, weights, multisports, and other exercise and i've studied golf intensely. my swing is constantly evolving. constantly.

what works on one day kills on the next, and so forth.

this is what makes club hunting so ****ing difficult. EVERYONE has experienced the ability to will a ball where you want it to go.

if only that could be repeated.

before i bought the macgregor/aldila i'd tried several combinations of heads and shafts before i returned back to my r7.

maybe this time i'm gone for good.

who the hell knows.........

cheers,

Interesting, no one has done a review of the Mac before so after you swing it awhile let us all know what you think.

If you constantly swop gear as you gradually improve it will drive you mad.Unless the equipment is hopelessly mismatched to you then I suggest you stick with what you have until your improvements plateau off and you improve in small chunks,rather than leaps and bounds

dave. said:
If you constantly swop gear as you gradually improve it will drive you mad.Unless the equipment is hopelessly mismatched to you then I suggest you stick with what you have until your improvements plateau off and you improve in small chunks,rather than leaps and bounds

i agree with you entirely, its just damned hard to do.

i am more than glad, however, that i went from cast to forged clubs. this particular has been more than beneficial.

Golf is a game of confidence,and whatever works for you is what is important.I do find it amazing though when it comes to putters,the player will throw the putter away after a bad round and buy another,yet with their beloved irons they will retreat to the range after a bad round and put practice time in.Putting,driving and wedges have this in common,players seem to balme these clubs and replace them,yet irons don't,yet the putter,wedge and driver are the three most important clubs in the bag.

Club ho'ing is a bad desease and needs a cure.I don't suffer from it although I did recently get a mild dose of shaft ho'ing,but I got help and pulled through.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520