• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver shaft for puny swing speeds

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
OK, I'm a wimp when it comes to swing speed. And it seems to be getting slower and slower.

Last year I borrowed a Swing Speed radar at the range and I was averaging 95mph with the driver, with one swing that read 106mph. I think that reading was for the one swing where I almost sharted and both shoes flew off. Never have been able to come close to that again.

Anyway, I just bought a used Swing Speed radar with Tempo Timer, and last night in my living room I was averaging 85mph and my absolute best was 89 mph. :(

Granted, this was after a long day at the chicken plant, but that stinks. It smelled almost as bad as I did.

So, as an experiment, I want to build a new driver. I plan on using my Maltby CT250FC head, laser checked at 11°. It has adjustable weights to set for draw, fade, neutral. It takes a .350" shaft.

I need suggestions for an inexpensive shaft. I want to absolutely maximize my distance, screw the accuracy. I normally hit a straight drive, occasionally a little draw.

45, 55, or 65 gm?

R or A flex? I don't think I'm quite ready for L flex yet. Maybe next week at the rate I'm going.

Mid or low kick point?

I'm thinking a pink NVS in R flex, 55gm. Aldila has them on Ebay for $22.

Any other suggestions?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
OK, and last night in my living room I was averaging 85mph and my absolute best was 89 mph. :(

Any other suggestions?

Pay no attention to an indoor reading.... my swing (and I believe it's very common) is 10-15mph slower indoors without swinging at an actual ball

Don't make any equipment changes based on the living room (or garage) swing

get out on the range and try again - or take it with you on your next round - trying to keep it in play may surprise you

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Didnt we just go through this? :D

Must i explain this to you again?

I got a box of spaghetti noodles at home, i can cook them up and send them to you...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Weiner swing?

Anything by Fujikura except the 757 or the Kamo. Something like a 686 would be a good fit.

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Reality is a bitch when you get old, idin't. ;)

May want to look at the loft instead. I know when I went to 12* you were hesitant when I posted on here when I decided to do so. Although I think you may not only gain yardage but consistency. I still even like the Stiff Aldilas in my FW's, but haven't noticed a big difference in the Reg in my Driver. The Aldila may be a good fit in a Reg. It doesn't play as stiff and gives a lower ball flight. I am not sure I would want an A or L Flex and swing and hit the ball about the same as you I believe. The ball gets in the air and I would tend to believe in going with less to gain a small difference in distance it would make the club unpredictable. I know with the Reg flex in my Driver, if I go after the ball I lose control and distance, and probably the reason I still like the Stiff in the FW's, as I tend to go after them a bit more but have no problem getting the ball in the air. For the most part, the swing speed on my FW's are slightly higher than that of my driver. I want to attribute it to the size of the head of the driver.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
For the most part, the swing speed on my FW's are slightly higher than that of my driver. I want to attribute it to the size of the head of the driver.

That's why you need "The Hammer!", Jack says it's aerodynamically shaped to actually reduce drag & allow you to swing up to 25% faster:D

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
eclark and wi-golfer can kiss my hairy @$$. :D

Rick & PA Jay and even Rockford (although it pains me to say it) made good suggestions, so I'll try the radar at the range before I go overboard. Plus it will be interesting to see what speed some of my big hitting friends are really getting.

I think I'll bring the radar unit to TN as well. :biglol:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Oh yea, definitely increase the loft. Us old guys do much better with the 11-12º drivers, leave the 8.5º with the X flex shafts to the young kids.

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
According to Golf Digest they say for a 95 mile per hour swing speed to use a 12 degree driver and have a launch angle of 16 degrees...I figure if u had ur launch angle around there somewhere u would likely see the best results in distance...If you can control any flex in shaft then go with the most flexible possible because u will gain head speed from the recoil.Just basic physics.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Sib, have you ever hit a PL Blue? While I'm certain my swing is far manlier than yours ;), I've found this to be a good shaft for me to swing easy with. I play R flex.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Regular flex Accuflex Assassin II World Champ. Sounds manly, doesn't it!?! DSFI of 85 mph, though. I will now ruin that idea for you by saying I built my wife's driver with one ;) ( Trying to maximize accuracy, not distance, though. )

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Check out the CT250 shaft. It's 51gm, mid-launch, and is a surprisingly good feeling stick. It plays a little soft so I'd still stick with an R if I were you. It's not a name-whore shaft, but if you try it you'll be surprised at how nice it is.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm using light shafts now and they make a huge difference for me. Also regular flex. Soft tip also. Some I'd look at

Speeder 586
Ping TFC129D pull?
Light weight Proforce V2
Limey UL440

I don't like low flex shafts (PL Blue). Mid-flex seem best for me also.

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
I might be pulling my Aldila DVS 55g stiff shaft out of my driver, let me know if your interested. It might be right up your alley. Its got a soft tip and real easy to load.

🔥 Latest posts