• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver Shaft "Tipping"

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
On a new driver shaft all the shaft manufacturers don't recommend "tipping" a driver shaft. Yet many do tip them. Is there something to be gained by doing this? Do you tip yours? Do you have to be good for it to help? Just trying to further my understanding of all this stuff. Thanks.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
It's my understanding that you would tip it if you're looking for a lower/boring flight.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I’ve read that many oems have been tipping their shafts when adding an adapter, I assume it’s from the added weight of the adapter and to keep the playing characteristics the same.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Another thought, by tipping your basically reducing the most flexible part of the shaft making it feel stiffer. As with most things in golf your mileage may vary based on many variables in your swing.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
You can stiffen a shaft my tipping it. If your shaft is to play at 45" and a cpm of 261, and it is at 256, you may be able to reach your desired frequency by tipping it. Start off with 1/4", then measure frequency. Then another 1/4" and check frequency. Once you reach your desired frequency, but trim. Also, a shaft probably ain't what it's labled... I just built a driver and the shaft I ordered was labeled regular/ stiff. I tipped it untill I didn't have to but trim it, and it still came out 237 @ 45"... 4.1 flex just above senior... some shafts just dont play nicely with others

🔥 Latest posts

Members online