• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver spin numbers

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Is there an optimal range? I ask because Friday I hit a few drives in front of a launch monitor at a Cleveland demo and the guy told me I should increase my spin by about 30%. First time ever in front of a monitor. Swing speed, launch angle, spin, smash factor. It's like Latin to me.

I tee it up and swing. It usually flies out there pretty well.

Kevin

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I tee it up and swing. It usually flies out there pretty well.

Kevin

Great way to play mate. Best not to get caught up in all the logistics, otherwise you'll end up like Ezra.

I think spin numbers are very dependant on your swing speed, launch angle etc for optimum purposes.

Optimum launch angle for someone who pokes em out there fairly well is around 14*. Obviously the higher your smash factor, the further it goes. What causes that exactly I'm not sure, but I'd say centre face contact, clubhead speed and other things get calculated by some sort of formula.

When all is said and done, like you said, just stand up and hit the thing. If you're a feel player (sounds like you are) then you'll know what's happened and why.

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Great way to play mate. Best not to get caught up in all the logistics, otherwise you'll end up like Ezra.

I think spin numbers are very dependant on your swing speed, launch angle etc for optimum purposes.

Optimum launch angle for someone who pokes em out there fairly well is around 14*. Obviously the higher your smash factor, the further it goes. What causes that exactly I'm not sure, but I'd say centre face contact, clubhead speed and other things get calculated by some sort of formula.

When all is said and done, like you said, just stand up and hit the thing. If you're a feel player (sounds like you are) then you'll know what's happened and why.

Well, my launch was lower than that. So was he saying I need more spin because my launch angle was too low? I'm just wondering if this dude was just trying to sell me something or if this is the real deal. I hit this damn FT-i and while my carry is not huge, it rolls out like no other club I've ever hit. I don't know why I would want more spin. Wouldn't that kill some of the roll? I did not hit the FT-i in front of the monitor, but rather his Cleveland demos. I was not a fan of the clubs.

I am a total feel player. No GPS or any of that stuff. I look at a sprinkler head, tell myself I'm about 90, 110, 155, or whatever, grab a club, look at the pin and hit it in there. It's worked for 35 years.

Kevin

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Well, my launch was lower than that. So was he saying I need more spin because my launch angle was too low? I'm just wondering if this dude was just trying to sell me something or if this is the real deal. I hit this damn FT-i and while my carry is not huge, it rolls out like no other club I've ever hit. I don't know why I would want more spin. Wouldn't that kill some of the roll? I did not hit the FT-i in front of the monitor, but rather his Cleveland demos. I was not a fan of the clubs.

I am a total feel player. No GPS or any of that stuff. I look at a sprinkler head, tell myself I'm about 90, 110, 155, or whatever, grab a club, look at the pin and hit it in there. It's worked for 35 years.

Kevin

My half educated guess would be that more spin would cause the ball to rise higher, therefore increasing your carry. Good for wet tracks but useless as tits on a bull for anything remotely dry or windy.

The FT-I LCG is meant to be high launch, low spin to get more run out of the ball once it hits the deck. That said I think the X-Con is a lower launching shaft so probably not going to fly as high as some other options in that head. If you're playing on mostly dry tracks, lower launch and lower spin is fine.

If you're happy with the FT-I, keep going with it. If not, schedule a session at an independent golf store, and get fitted, hitting as many drivers and shaft options as you can on the monitor, and I'll take your FT-I... :p

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
My home course was built in a quarry and is firm as hell. It also has a number of elevated tees and it's windy a lot of days. The FT-i has been working beautifully so you can't have it. LOL. But you are first on the list.

I'm going to find out about this crap, because my buddy bought a Launcher from these guys they claim is going to maximize his distance. He hits the ball much higher and carries it a tad farther than I do, but I'm generally 15+ yards longer after the roll out. They're claiming he's going to be 18-25 yards longer with the Launcher.

Too bad he's such a crappy wedge player. :)

Kevin

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks, I opened that up, but I'm short the ball speed number for the equation. Maybe in this case, ignorance is bliss. I know I easily outhit my young, athletic, nephew-in-law today on most every hole, and he hits it high, and seems to have a lot of spin.

Kevin

bryguy

May 15, 2008
E, you should be able to figure out your ballspeed if you have your SS and smash factor, just multiply your SS by your smash factor. My ballspeed generally runs about 160 or so, and my launch is between 13 to 16 degrees, spin is generally in the 2500 to 2700 range. According to all the OEM guru's I have been fit by, this is supposedly 'ideal' for me. Kind hard to believe that you would want to increase your spin that much unless you were around like 1500 to 2000 RPM's. Could be the dude was full o crap and just trying to sell you something.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
The recommendation for increasing the spin number is dependent on your swing speed, Power transition (smash factor) number..etc.

Normally, becasue most players tend to hit with toolow a loft and too stiff a shaft, the higher loft = more carry...but obviously, there is a point where the return on that becomes counter productive.

It is the us fitters job to determine where that boundry lies, and fit the person to maximum distance before tail off.

While dialing a person based on launch monitor numbers are a great starting point, I ALWAYS take into account the items the LM cannot base recommendations on...such as the players territory (windy? hard or soft grounds, humidity...etc..).

or example, I will usually try to get someone in typical Texas (windy and harder grounds) slightly lower and less dramatic ball flight than , say a person in humid FL.

But then again, since heat and humidity cause a ball to fly higher, that TOO needs to be taken into consideration, because a high flight in Springtime, could be potentially too high in Summer.

Based on what I saw with your swing, you have an excellent, smooth transition and tremendous wrist lag on your best shots.

Plus...and most importantly, you are comfortable with your set up....

Sure, I could put you in a combo that should be better.....but while I can measure swing speed, loft, trajectory, spin...etc......I cannot measure confidence.

Stay with what ya got...andif things go south, call. me....but not till then.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
"Stay with what ya got...and if things go south, call. me....but not till then." Rory you're a buzzkill, what fun is "call me when things go south". This thread should have been moved to the Equipment Forum.....no one kills a ho in the equipment forum you know:)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The recommendation for increasing the spin number is dependent on your swing speed, Power transition (smash factor) number..etc.

Normally, becasue most players tend to hit with toolow a loft and too stiff a shaft, the higher loft = more carry...but obviously, there is a point where the return on that becomes counter productive.

It is the us fitters job to determine where that boundry lies, and fit the person to maximum distance before tail off.

While dialing a person based on launch monitor numbers are a great starting point, I ALWAYS take into account the items the LM cannot base recommendations on...such as the players territory (windy? hard or soft grounds, humidity...etc..).

or example, I will usually try to get someone in typical Texas (windy and harder grounds) slightly lower and less dramatic ball flight than , say a person in humid FL.

But then again, since heat and humidity cause a ball to fly higher, that TOO needs to be taken into consideration, because a high flight in Springtime, could be potentially too high in Summer.

Based on what I saw with your swing, you have an excellent, smooth transition and tremendous wrist lag on your best shots.

Plus...and most importantly, you are comfortable with your set up....

Sure, I could put you in a combo that should be better.....but while I can measure swing speed, loft, trajectory, spin...etc......I cannot measure confidence.

Stay with what ya got...andif things go south, call. me....but not till then.

This is good advice. I wish you lived in VT so you could fit me :(

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
If you're happy, leave well enough alone. Chasing the holy grail can be a dangerous and expensive game to play.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If you're happy, leave well enough alone. Chasing the holy grail can be a dangerous and expensive game to play.

LyleG

It is? :D Truer words were never spoken..... I'm a good example. :(

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.