• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver testing

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I had a few hours free last night so I headed over to Golfsmith to have a go at all the latest drivers. So I basically went through the list of OEMs with a range of set-ups.

A pretty cool Golfsmith guy came over to help. I explained that I was just experimenting and he was very decent. He brought me to the best hitting bay and ran through a range of set-ups. I was surprised at the variation between Ping, Titliest, Callaway, TM, Nike and Cobra.

The one that came out on top? The TM M2 in 10.5 degrees with a Fujikura Stiff 60g shaft.

It was as long as Ping and Callaway but more forgiving. My spin rates were excellent (2,600rpm) and launch was about 14 degrees. Swing speed was ~95mph and carry was ~235 yards, running out to 260 yards. Dispersion was terrific and it felt very solid. I hit a few out to 270 and my misses were getting past 240, it was a nice experience.

I was more than impressed with this and may look to acquire one in this spec some time soon.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I had a few hours free last night so I headed over to Golfsmith to have a go at all the latest drivers. So I basically went through the list of OEMs with a range of set-ups.

A pretty cool Golfsmith guy came over to help. I explained that I was just experimenting and he was very decent. He brought me to the best hitting bay and ran through a range of set-ups. I was surprised at the variation between Ping, Titliest, Callaway, TM, Nike and Cobra.

The one that came out on top? The TM M2 in 10.5 degrees with a Fujikura Stiff 60g shaft.

It was as long as Ping and Callaway but more forgiving. My spin rates were excellent (2,600rpm) and launch was about 14 degrees. Swing speed was ~95mph and carry was ~235 yards, running out to 260 yards. Dispersion was terrific and it felt very solid. I hit a few out to 270 and my misses were getting past 240, it was a nice experience.

I was more than impressed with this and may look to acquire one in this spec some time soon.
My pops has been singing the praises of the M2 for awhile, says its a cannon. Haven't hit one yet.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Wait six weeks, guys, and they will be half the price they are today. That's TMAG! I picked up an R15 TP for a song. So far, have been impressed. Hate to say anything good about any driver before the honeymoon ends.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Yip, I tested the Titleist as well. It was OK but nothing special. Remember for me this was a test comparing numbers. I figure the simulator is jacked up, although the guy assured me it was the best performing one in the shop and my numbers seemed about right. That said it was a useful exercise comparing average performance of each. I hit about 6 balls with each club, eliminated the best / worst. I was mainly looking for launch, spin, dispersion and feel and the M2 won in every category. I was trying to be as objective as I could.

I think the real winner was the Fuji shaft, love the feel off that. It would be good to get all the clubs fitted with that and then test again for numbers.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Yip, I tested the Titleist as well. It was OK but nothing special. Remember for me this was a test comparing numbers. I figure the simulator is jacked up, although the guy assured me it was the best performing one in the shop and my numbers seemed about right. That said it was a useful exercise comparing average performance of each. I hit about 6 balls with each club, eliminated the best / worst. I was mainly looking for launch, spin, dispersion and feel and the M2 won in every category. I was trying to be as objective as I could.

I think the real winner was the Fuji shaft, love the feel off that. It would be good to get all the clubs fitted with that and then test again for numbers.

Speaking of being objective. I wonder if a golf shop could do something like a blind study.

You pay $XX, and they have one of every major brand driver available taped up so you can't tell what it is. Replace the grips with something random but uniform...maybe even a couple of each with the different shafts. You hit them all, or at least as many as you wish to. No performance numbers are shown to you while you're hitting them. Maybe allow the user to write down thoughts as far as feel for each one?

At the end, it gives you your top three clubs as far as performance goes, and the numbers associated with it them. Then if you buy the club there, you get the price you paid for the testing off the purchase price of the club.

I would enjoy this...however, I'm not sure there would be enough interest in the market. Brand names are powerful sellers...meaning people will buy a club with a particular name regardless of what the numbers actually say. OR they will just hit better on the simulator because they know they have a Y brand club in their hand. OR they simply won't try any drivers from another company.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
It's been a long time since I cared what name is on the driver. If it were a PenisPuller Powershaft driver and worked best I'd play it.
Same here. However, in the market, for most golfers, brand name is a huge deal.

I take that back, it does matter to me to a degree. I refuse to buy a 'Big Bertha' anything from Callaway. Phucking terrible name.

I'm thinking about buying another Geek DCT head though...just so I have a backup if the one I have ever fails.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If it were a PenisPuller Powershaft driver and worked best I'd play it.
Owned one of them. Had a Red Rectal Release shaft in it. Hit it a country mile! Every time I hauled my clubs from home to the course, the truck smelled funny. Couldn't decide if it was the PenisPuller head or the Red Rectal shaft. Sold it to a 350 lb. guy at our course who stands 4'-10" and smells like he bathes once/month. He hits it well and hasn't complained about the odor.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Did you hit a Titleist 915 D2? Thats got my interest. If so give me your view.
I really enjoyed my 913D3 when I played it. Still in the basement in case this R15 hiccups. For me, Titleist drivers are "good news... bad news". Good news... there is a wide variety of excellent shafts available at no upcharge. Bad news... there is a wide variety of excellent shafts available at no upcharge but you have to get the one that best fits your swing. Mine has the Bassara shaft. Took a while to get used to it. Once I did, I really like the responsiveness of it. In fact, have a set of Adams forged irons and matching hybrids located with Bassara shafts and am tempted...........

🔥 Latest posts