• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver testing

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I tried the Cally XR and really wanted to like it. It was OK, but my launch numbers were really high. May have had something to do with the shaft. Also it wasn't as accurate or forgiving as the M2.

But hey I'm no TM plate-licker! Whatever works. But it was a good exercise in objectivity. I really like Eric's idea, a blind test. Once the fitter has worked out your ability / numbers, then you get matched up with the best combinations of unmarked shafts and heads and you just hit them as driver a / b / c / d etc. Once you have honed in on your best numbers you are then told the details. I think you'd see a lot of interesting results.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
One of the guys in our regular group has hit an old Callaway... I think it's the Diablo... for a long time and hit it well. A few months ago, his wife "gifted" him with a new XR Callaway driver. (Not the XR16, just the XR.) He hates that driver. I've never seen him struggle so much getting off the tee. Saw him actually pick up and drive off the course a couple weeks ago when he got so disgusted. Last week, he "snuck" the old Callaway back in the bag. Shot 79 with it. We all are asking for his wife's cell phone number so we can tattle on him. He won't give it to us. He's scared she will find out he's bagging the old driver.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Been reading a bunch of reviews on drivers from different sources. No doubt about it IG. The M2 always came out on top in ALL of them. The XR 16 came out very low. 915D2 was middle of the pack. The Ping G didn't do badly either. Interesting stuff.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
What was interesting was I asked the guy in Golfsmith what the biggest selling driver was this year.

The Cally XR16! By a mile!

🔥 Latest posts