• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver try-out, Fall 2005

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, after a good summer of golf hitting my driver better than I ever have, I've made the "smart" decision to pick up a new driver.

I am such a moron.

I went to Nevada Bobs (more on this in a second) to try out as many drivers as I could. In no particular order, or directed towards a specific player, mind you. Here's my general breakdown of each. I'll do my best to be impartial and give each their just deserves:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9.5*

I am a Callaway guy. Always have been. I liked their irons until this year and their drivers and fairway woods are amazing. In my opinion, at the top with a few others. This new driver is no exception. Long, forgiving and a nice feel. This one had the Aldila NV 75 in it, giving it a swingweight of D3, which is what I currently play. A perfect match. I felt the grip that came stock was the pits, but that's being picky. The head on this thing is gargantuan, and it takes some time getting used to standing over this thing. But one you start pounding a few off the toe and heel, you realize why this thing should be in every hackers bag. It's the real McCoy for forgiveness and length. Not the longest out there I found, but 280 is plenty for most guys out there.
Forgiveness 9/10. Feel 8.5/10. Length 8/10. Overall 9/10.

Titleist 905S 8.5*

This thing is long. Very long. Not as forgiving as one would like and it lacks the feel of the other drivers I tried, but you can take this thing deep. Smoke it on the screws and watch that pebble disappear. I also found that control was lacking some. Now, I will freely admit that i'm not a Titlesit guy. But this was one of the better drivers from the big T that i've tried. Tester club came with a stock Fuji Speeder for Titleist, which is a decent shaft. I say decent, because I think set up with either and NV, a Grafalloy or a aftermarket Speeder, this thing could be a cannon. Too bad it felt like hitting a rock off the face.
Forgiveness 6.5/10. Feel 6/10. Length 9.5/10. Overall 8.5/10

Ping G2 460
Does anyone here watch the Simpsons? Remember that episode where Homer went on a diet and had to eat rice cakes? "Hello, taste, where are you?"
I feel the same way about the G2. It looks nice, sets up well, feels decent, but where the hell is the distance? And how come a slice, hook and hit the ball perfect with the same swing?
This was the only driver I couldn't figure out. It came with the stock Ping shaft (whatever that was, I quickly discarded this club, it's not my choice at all) at 8.5* loft.
I hope Ping has the performace aspect figured out with the new G5, cuz this thing isn't the cat's meow.
Foregivess 5/10. Feel 7/10. Length 6/10. Overall 6/10.

Cleveland 460 Ti (not the Comp)
Whoever has one of these and can't hit it straight and long should go out and get lessons.
This is THE driver to have. Even set up with the stock Fuji shaft at 9.5* loft, I was BOMBING this driver. Huge. Off the heel, toe, center, high in the face, this thing just goes and goes. I tried a second one set up with a Grafalloy Blue (in X-stiff no less) and still cranked the hell out of the pebble. I averaged nearly 295 with this thing, even with a couple of shots high off the face, as I was testing the club to the best of my ability:)D).
If you have trouble hitting the ball straight, go out and buy a Lancher 460. If you need more distance, buy a Launcher 460. If you have to unclog your toilet....well, I won't keep going...
This is by far the best driver I have ever hit for consistency. It had changed my view on Clevelands woods. (So much so, I had a go with some Launcher fairways and started looking for some on E-bay when I came home! So sweet! But that's another thread.)
If you have some time this week, go Demo this club. And don't be suprised if you find one in your bag by Sunday. It's truly that good.
Foregivess 10/10. Feel 10/10. Length 9/10. Overall 9.5/10.

Cobra 440SZ
This was a suprise. I've never been much of a fan of Cobra stuff, but this driver works. Well.
Matched with the NV HL (high launch), the ball just seems to float forever. Personally, I would like a more boring ballflight for control in the wind, but I would worry about that once I had purchased one, or considered demoing with another shaft installed, which unfortunately I couldn't. 9.5* loft, sweet feel and better than average forgiveness give the 460SZ my thumbs up. For the price, I would still get a Launcher, but the Cobra is more than equivalent as an alternative.
Well done Cobra. You have a winner, forsure.
Foregiveness 8/10. Feel 7.5/10. *Length 7.5/10. Overall 8/10.
*I equate the lack of length due to the high launch shaft. I'm a high ball hitter to begin with, so I'm making a note about this.

I never made it to the Taylor Made section, or the Hogan's. It was in my plan of attack, but I stupidly a) left my cell phone on and b) answered it. SWMBO was calling....at the golf shop...going home...cripes....

I did, however, get to hack a couple other clubs. Irons: Callaway X-tour Forged, Taylor Made Rac TP and Cleveland CG4's.
Quick comments......X-tours, heavy and fat. Good feel, but what the hell, Callaway? Get into the groove and make some real forged clubs. 5/10. And I'm a Cally guy...Rac TPs...sweet....nice setup and feel. A true Players club....CG4's, the real deal for the game improvement guy....great feel and looks. They smell nice too.

Try and remember before ripping me about any of the above that these are my opinions. I also will add that some of these clubs weren't set up for my swing and shaft combination as well as some others, so the numbers may or may not improve. But I thought i'd just share what I could.

Also, i'm going to advocate that no one buy stuff from Nevada Bobs. What a ripoff joint. I asked how much a set of irons would be for a re-shaft for TT DG S300's, 35 bucks a club BEFORE labour and taxes. Holy fack! Do i get to choose the parking cone that they'd kick straight up my ass too? Sheesh....for that price, i'd rather burn the clubs...

Anyways, that's my rant. Take it with a grain of salt...

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Rockford35 said:
Also, i'm going to advocate that no one buy stuff from Nevada Bobs. What a ripoff joint. I asked how much a set of irons would be for a re-shaft for TT DG S300's, 35 bucks a club BEFORE labour and taxes. Holy fack! Do i get to choose the parking cone that they'd kick straight up my ass too? Sheesh....for that price, i'd rather burn the clubs...
R35

Damn, 35 bucks a club before labor and taxes for a re-shaft? Maybe I could actually make a living reshafting clubs. Thats a pretty steep markup for a $9 shaft. Actually, $35 a club including labor and taxes still seems excessive. If could get $35 a club to reshaft with a TT DG, I could make some good cash.

I guess thats why I ended up making/repairing my own clubs. Too much mark up in the golf industry.

Anyway, Nice reviews Rockford. I always enjoy reading about the latest and greatest equipment in the hands a true golfer and not a paid spokesman. Well done.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
That's a great post Rock. . .

Rockford35 said:
If you have some time this week, go Demo this club. And don't be suprised if you find one in your bag by Sunday. It's truly that good.
Foregivess 10/10. Feel 10/10. Length 9/10. Overall 9.5/10.

This is one reason I try NOT to demo too many clubs. I'm starting a collection for sure. I'm very interested in the Clevelands. . .I'm planning on demo'ing some irons this week. I'm pretty set on driver for now. I'm actually improving quite a bit with my Adams.

Nevada Bob's here locally is WAAAYY high priced. I'm honestly curious how they stay open. They can probably make rent off of one tennis racket though.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
The Cleveland is a great clubs....for a while. I bombed it once i first got it, but i play a draw now, and i couldnt keep it from hooking, so i sold it

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
nsherman2006 said:
The Cleveland is a great clubs....for a while. I bombed it once i first got it, but i play a draw now, and i couldnt keep it from hooking, so i sold it

And the other 39 drivers in the basement were calling...:D

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Rockford35 said:
for that price, i'd rather burn the clubs...

R35

LOL Rock. I can picture it now.

A good "honest injun" review. So whadychaget? The Cally?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I truly believe the 460 heads will go down in history as the devils nasty sticks,tuly awful things that have no place on a golf course. 360s are big enough.If you need the sweetspot the size of Wales then maybe you should give up golf and start playing tennis with a really big racket like the girls do. I'm just being deliberatley provocative,this site has far too many polite threads and not enough rows to spice it up:) I agree,the 905S is a truly good club,not goood enough to trade up ,from the 983E though.Not forgiving admittedly,but who cares about forgiveness?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
nsherman2006 said:

Same here. Not sure why but I just can't hit that driver with hooking it.

Great post Rocky. I read the whole thing but I didn't need to cause you had me at.......

I am such a moron. :biglol:

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nope, I didn't buy any of them. Honest Injun.

But I did come home and did some searching on the Launcher 460. Everytime I hit that thing I just love it more and more.

I'm wondering, is the Comp that much better?

Sounds like I need to have another go at Nevada Bob's test firing range....notice I didn't say "Nevada Bob's Golf Store".....:D

R35

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
I hate you for posting this, but I might have to find funds for a Launcher. Anybody need a lefty GBBII?! :D

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Jay McNasty said:
I hate you for posting this, but I might have to find funds for a Launcher. Anybody need a lefty GBBII?! :D

How much?

R35

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Interesting review, R - nice work :)

I have the Launcher in 400cc and swear by it. Itz tha bomb !!

:usflag: :ukflag: :usflag: :ukflag:

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
OK, so its almost 8PM, I read Rock's review & think the Launcher 460 is gonna be my birthday present to myself. Next step is to pop into E-Bay & check out prices. There's one from 3balls sitting at $122 with about a hour left. Looks like something I may be able to steal. So I set up to snipe in with 5 seconds left & carry it away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEVELAND-LAUNCHER-460-9-5-DRIVER-GRAPHITE-REGULAR_W0QQitemZ7189080442QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's when I noticed the high bidder..a guy named irishgolfer01. Hmmmmm...is that the same IG?

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Super input, Rock.

If not for the good results with the TM R580XD, I'd be tempted on the Launcher. Keep us updated on its performance after you get it.

🔥 Latest posts