• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drivers

A

aligator

Like to ask for you opinion. I am 70 years old and getting ready to retire and plan on making up for the golf I missed out on. I have a Fastrax (graphite)($50.00) Driver that I hit 240, 50% 0f the time. What Driver could I buy(up to $300) that would give me more distance and more clean hits? I hit my 7 iron 150. Please don't tell me not to pay attention to long drives, when you golf with 40 year olds, it feel good to match or beat them.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Hi-Bore if you can get over the looks of the thing (I love them) its an absolute hammer especially with a prolaunch blue in it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Cleveland Launcher 440 Ti or Callaway X460. Both are long, forgiving and reasonably priced.

If you can, go have a few swings with them. Find out what shaft works best for your swing. The shaft is actually more important than the clubhead itself. Plus, a testing session will be able to help you find a loft that will maximize distance as well.

Good luck in your quest. One of my life's goals is to be able to play golf when I'm 70.

Sir, I'm am green with envy. :)

Cheers,

R35

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome. :)

We all (well, almost all) love the Cleveland Launcher.
Try to get one without the stock shaft, you can get them with the aldila NV (ugly olive green) of a Graffaloy prolaunch.
I like the Aldila better myself.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Hi Bore?
YUCK!

I have not heard anything but luke warm reviews of that club. Even Vijay binned it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Find somewhere you can swing some clubs with different shafts. As long as you're buying new make them fit you and you'll be a happy man. And I do envy you being able to retire. Enjoy yourself and play lot's of golf!!! VJ went back to his Comp because the HiBore was too straight. He couldn't work the ball. It's supposed to hit it long though.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Best bet is to go somewhere they can get you on a launch monitor. More often than not an older player will have a lot less flexibility and benefit from a higher launching shaft and head. You are obviously in good shape to be getting them out there still. That's about my Dad's distances and he's 58. Although he defies this logic, he gained yardage by dropping to a 9.5* head and an Sflex. He catches that thing well on the upswing.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hi Bore?
YUCK!

I have not heard anything but luke warm reviews of that club. Even Vijay binned it.

Sweet. Veej binned it because it was "too damn straight". He couldn't work the ball like he wanted, went back to his (no applause, just throw money) Launcher 460 Ti.

That's pretty big praise for a club saying that it's too straight. Alot of guys could use that.

It does take some getting used to, asthetically, tho.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ezra,

I'm 59 so I could be your long lost "uncle"!!!

:confused:

Hmmm... I think you may be right. Now where's all the Bithday presents for the last 30 fricken years.
icon10.gif

I'll take an R7 425 with a Speeder 757, my missing Miura 4iron with a Nippon NS 1050 1/2" long and a 51-55-59* set of Scratch wedges. Oh and throw in an Ogio bag and a few dozen Prov1 332's for all the Chistmas presents.

PS- I'll send a bottle of Aqua Velva, a set of drill bits and a flannel shirt to make up for mine.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
WBL, you crack me up.

As ashamed as I am to say it, I would recommend the Ping Rapture.

Members online

No members online now.