• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driving a long ball...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Played last night with my 2 brothers and dad in our annual family outing. Good craic, lots of banter etc. and

In between thunderstorms we played Royal Belfast, a beautiful parkland course with outstanding greens.

I took out the Tour Edge Exotics / Limey combo for a spin and Boy, I was crushing that thing all night. A nice high draw. I averaged it out at 264 over 12 drives on a soft wet course.

BUT the real news was my big brother. He is ~6'3" and fairly athletic. He plays ~20 rounds of golf a year but he can hit a ball. Using a G5 he was hammering the ball a phenominal length. Playing off a cap of 12 he shot 42 points (including a ding). Needless to say he kicked my ass and with some luck he could have shot the lights out. He is a bit hit and miss at times, but when his game is on, watch out.

Some of his highlights were.

Drive and 9 iron to a 500 yard par 5 (holed the putt for a eagle btw)
Drive and 9 iron into the wind of a 430 yard par 4
Drive and 7 iron to another 500 yard par 5 (this one was slightly uphill)

We played a soft wet course and he was averageing 30 yards outside me, even when I crushed it. So he was hitting it close to 300 yards. He plays Cobra irons and hit a 6 iron into a breeze 190 yards. I crushed a 4 iron the same distance.

Now that is LOOOONG!!!!

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
That's sound hitting alright IG ... local rule in our place at the moment is that yer allowed carry a shovel in yer bag to dig the ball outta fairway ....

Maybe you should consider a shaft refit for that elusive 50 yard gain in distance .. needless to say if ya find the shaft lemme know ;)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Please help this Yank with the lingo:

What is "craic"?

What is a "ding"?

Thanks.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
What is "craic"?

Good fun, general enjoyment, sometimes accompanied by alcolol and singing.

What is a "ding"?

A no score at a hole in stableford format. He had an 8, which meant he didn't scored any points on that hole, so he ding'ed it.

Several dings in a row is usually referred to as a "Fire Engine / Truck golf"

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
we use "ding" as a term for a payout on a hole whether it be a birdie, eagle or some other form of junk.

Example we were playing a 10-2-5 game yesterday (in tournament play LOL) and there were several $2 birdies. We lost 6 dings to 5 and had to pay out $2 in dings.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Slight amendment required ...

IG is there something missing in yer alcolol

Ah jeez Dave I forgot about the last time I played with you. All that booze and dancing, it was a sight, I tell thee!

Sorry I have spoken to the distillery. They have re-added the missing h to all booze sold north of the border.

Members online

No members online now.