• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driving Range...place to practice or social spot?

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
United States United States
So I was at the driving range at the course today practicing and three guys come up and one sets up right beside me. Only one is hitting balls...probably 1 ball every 3-4 minutes but in between the three of them are having a little social time very loudly.

I couldn't move cause the range was full and I didn't say anything, I just backed off and went to chip on the green for a bit.

I understand a bit of talking back and forth but these guys were very loud and it was hard to concentrate. Was I expecting too much or should they have respected the others on the range? Should I have said something to him?

Last edited:

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Was I expecting too much or should they have respected the others on the range? Should I have said something to him?
Yes, yes, no.
Yes you expected too much from people at the range. The range is a great place for socializing.
But...
Yes they should have respected the other patrons. Unfortunately, some people have as much etiquette as Jabba the Hutt. In general, expect nothing.
No you didn't need to say anything. Did you really need silence? Did they really disrupt your routine that badly? Would it have been worth the hassle? I doubt it.

It's just a driving range.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Yes, yes, no.
Yes you expected too much from people at the range. The range is a great place for socializing.
But...
Yes they should have respected the other patrons. Unfortunately, some people have as much etiquette as Jabba the Hutt. In general, expect nothing.
No you didn't need to say anything. Did you really need silence? Did they really disrupt your routine that badly? Would it have been worth the hassle? I doubt it.

This^^^

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
One time I was playing with some buddies and like many good buddies we talk $hit. Well, one guy was getting ready to hit and right as he was getting to the top of his backswing, my other buddy ripped the loudest, wettest nastiest fart. The guy hitting promptly buried his club behind the ball in the downswing in part because he was laughing so hard.

We let him drop another ball.

The point? None if us are making money from this game, let it go. Take a breath and relax. You'll live longer. :)

OP
rob0225

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
Yes, yes, no.
But...

Fair enough.

No, I didn't need quiet and don't expect it....but these guys were very loud. I just felt they were a bit out of line.

Last edited:

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
No, I didn't need quiet and don't expect it....but these guys were very loud. I just felt they were a bit out of line.
Sure.. only half the people are better than average so you have a 50/50 chance anybody you meet on a range actually know anything about the real game.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Our group of regular players probably horse around more than most groups. But, we are generally respectful of each other and the game. One of the reasons I no longer go to driving ranges or par 3/executive courses is that I no longer have patience for those who possess no sense of courtesy/etiquette. Often, they do not even realize they are bothering others. You've seen the photos of "People of Wal-Mart". I would imagine one could photograph many of those who frequent driving ranges and have difficulty differentiating between the two. If I were on a driving range, it would not surprise me at all to hear loud talk from those who simply don't comprehend they might be bothering others.

You did well by simply walking away.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I don't consider it rude when people are chatting it up on the range. I'm used to it, someone is always yapping at the range that I frequent. I also have a friend that won't shut up on the course. He will talk to you the entire time you're hitting. I just give him the silent treatment until I hit my shot. (I think he does it to get in my head because we're usually betting. I have my own ways to get in his head.) Playing with my kids will test your mental fortitude the most though, lol...in so many ways.

You're going to have distractions but noise won't move your golf club. Get used to it and you will be a stronger player for it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I sympathise with the OP and have been down that road before. Let me guess, they all blazed away with driver?

Range time is part of my practice routine. It's where I work on my game.

Having said that, there are ranges and there are ranges. Some pitch themselves as "entertainment venues" and that's where you're more likely to find people like the OP described. I usually look for the quietest spot at the range.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I sympathise with the OP and have been down that road before. Let me guess, they all blazed away with driver?

Range time is part of my practice routine. It's where I work on my game.

Having said that, there are ranges and there are ranges. Some pitch themselves as "entertainment venues" and that's where you're more likely to find people like the OP described. I usually look for the quietest spot at the range.
I have a hard time relating to the OP. Up here we have very few ranges and they are almost never full. I can't remember ever having to wait or see a range full.

Most of my practice time is spent on the field behind my house. All I have to watch for is people walking dogs. :)

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I have a hard time relating to the OP. Up here we have very few ranges and they are almost never full. I can't remember ever having to wait or see a range full.

Most of my practice time is spent on the field behind my house. All I have to watch for is people walking dogs. :)
I have a hard time relating as well, I get excessive yelling being a deterrent and if it was on the course being ticked off is completely warranted but on the range I expect a bit of chatter.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The only range around here that ever gets full is Vitense and that's because it's the only range in the area with heated bays.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
One time I was playing with some buddies and like many good buddies we talk $hit. Well, one guy was getting ready to hit and right as he was getting to the top of his backswing, my other buddy ripped the loudest, wettest nastiest fart. The guy hitting promptly buried his club behind the ball in the downswing in part because he was laughing so hard.

We let him drop another ball.

The point? None if us are making money from this game, let it go. Take a breath and relax. You'll live longer. :)
I was shooting for the state archery championship next to my closest competitor. I was at full draw and he did the fart thing to try and make me miss. Instead of laughing or getting mad (which I was) I just BURNED that dot in my sight in the center of the bullseye (60 yards) and put five straight arrows all touching each other exactly in the center. And I did it over and over again. I used it as incentive to destroy him and I'm betting he really regretted trying to mess with my head. But he wasn't a friend. He was a real a**hole.

Members online

No members online now.