• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driving Range Question

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
So I was at the driving range today and I noticed some interesting ball flight when using my driver. This was not the first time, but I finally thought I'd bring it up. On some drives I feel like my swing was nice and smooth and even the sound off the club face was solid but the ball has this really odd path to it. It's almost like hitting a top spin in tennis where it just starts to sink and it didn't even go that far.

Is this a result of a bad swing or a dead range ball? Has anyone else noticed this before?

AAA

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Could be the ball a little. The ones at the range I go to are beat to hell now. All cuts and totally scuffed. Not to mention they've been sitting for days in that huge refrigerator they call a ball machine. I just try to groove my swing and don't get too uptight about distance or precise flight. I know when I hit a good one with a crap ball and vice versa. Considering I $hanked my 1st 3 wedge shots I can't blame it all on the ball.
icon10.gif
That made me a little nervous, like "oh no, I lost my swing, HELP!!!" All was fine after a few shots, glad I worked so hard on simplifing my setup this year.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Driving range ball are the bottom of the barrel balls for the mostpart. I never work on distances much there unless the balls are really new. Other than that, I just work on mechanics or hit wedges.

There's nothing worse than flushing one and having it spin off 150 yards right because you just cracked the cover on the bloody thing.

My wedges just peel the hell out of the balls at the range too. I rarely do that on the course with my 56's.

R35

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
One course I went to used real golf balls with red stripes around them. A variety of brands and models. Even found a couple Pro V1s, Nike ONEs, and Hogan Apex. I wouldn't steal balls from this place though. It's a family owned and operated course.

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Good to hear. Makes me feel better.

Members online

No members online now.