• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drug testing begins...

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
I just don't understand the level of naivety. You naysayers really think that there isn't a strong motivation to cheat? Not when there isn't millions of dollars on the line? I agree that it isn't any of the top players, but if you are struggling to make number 125 on the money list and keep your card isn't that a big incentive? Or trying to get through Q school?

If the TOUR doesn't test, it is implicitly saying that it is okay to cheat.

I am also tired of hearing how "roid rage" will destroy your golf game. If you look at some of my previous posts, I have talked about how there are a wide range of performance enhancing drugs that would benefit golfers tremendously.

Look. If human beings were all rational and fair with each other, you are correct, testing wouldn't be needed. But, I'm sorry if this is news to you, humans beings are irrational and devious. If there is an advantage to be had, the temptation will get the better of some people. Golfers aren't immune from being human. Just because golf is their sport of choice, doesn't make them a better person than if they were able to play baseball or football or cycling or track and field or lollipop licking. If there is money to be made by getting better at your sport of choice, and you weren't going to get caught -- people are going to cheat. People have tried to cheat at golf all the time, some successfully, some unsuccessfully.

At least with testing, the TOUR is telling them explicitly that it is not okay to use performance-enhancing drugs, and the cheaters will have to use more sophisticated techniques. The doping won't stop, but at least the cheaters will have to work harder at it, and maybe a few will reconsider what they are doing. It is always a race between the dopers and the detectors, there will always be some new performance enhancer that will be undetectable for a few years, but you have to at least try to put an end to it to be fair to the entire field.

Sure, it has been said, "Just test Tiger, and if he's clean, does it really matter?" To the rest of the world, probably not. But, I guarantee it matters to that young guy going through Q school or struggling to keep his tour card. If you were one place out of being a top finisher Q school, but you knew that the guy who got that place ahead of you used performance enhancers illegally, wouldn't you be awfully streamed about it?

How can you naysayers just ignore all these issues as "a huge waste of money and time"?

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Necro'ing this thread for a reason.

The PGA Tour has suspended Matt Every for testing positive for pot. He has a prescription for it for a mental condition (likely anxiety/depression) and doesn't want to take addictive synthesized drugs. I applaud him for that. He is eligible to return in January.

I think this is a stupid fukin ruling. He has a prescription and it's not a performance-enhancing drug, and it's the safest way for him to maintain his mental health.

Another PGA Tour fail, in my opinion.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
If THC is included specifically in the rule, then he should be suspended. He knows the rules(or should) and breaking the rules should reap the rewards.

I don't necessarily agree with this specific rule, per say, but if it's the rule, then it needs to be enforced. I don't think prescriptions should have any bearing on whether an organization bans or doesn't ban a substance.

Lets say some state decides that a specific PED is OK and legalizes it. I wouldn't be OK with residents of that state being able to use that PED against PGA rules because they have a prescription for it.

I would be fine if they removed pot from the list of 'performance enhancing drugs' or however the PGA lists these things.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I know my old mind is feeble, but could swear remembering Every suffers from epilepsy. If so, and the prescribed substance is medically controlling the issue, it is stupid for him to be suspended. NO! It's stupid for the Tour to include something that can be such a godsend on their prohibited substance list.

Former boss of mine had a mini stroke. They drilled a hole in his skull to do some work inside. Told him he would be on pain killers for months if not years. He said he would rather die than become addicted to opioids. Travels to a neighboring state every so often and picks up some pot. Smokes one joint/day and has zero pain or disability. Have another acquaintance in a very similar situation. I think she grows her own.

The ONLY reason marijuana is considered illegal in so many areas is the impact of pharmaceutical lobbyists. The billionaire CEO's would much rather see someone downing pills for the rest of their life than have relief from something they could grow in their own backyard.

Rant off....

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I know my old mind is feeble, but could swear remembering Every suffers from epilepsy. If so, and the prescribed substance is medically controlling the issue, it is stupid for him to be suspended. NO! It's stupid for the Tour to include something that can be such a godsend on their prohibited substance list.

Former boss of mine had a mini stroke. They drilled a hole in his skull to do some work inside. Told him he would be on pain killers for months if not years. He said he would rather die than become addicted to opioids. Travels to a neighboring state every so often and picks up some pot. Smokes one joint/day and has zero pain or disability. Have another acquaintance in a very similar situation. I think she grows her own.

The ONLY reason marijuana is considered illegal in so many areas is the impact of pharmaceutical lobbyists. The billionaire CEO's would much rather see someone downing pills for the rest of their life than have relief from something they could grow in their own backyard.

Rant off....
^^^This

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

Rant off....

Duuuuuuuude!

download.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.