• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dump the Lob Wedge?

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
I carry a 20 handicap and my goal is to cut it to 15 or a little better. I've always spent a lot of time on my short game since I can't make many greens in regulation.

I used to feel really good about hitting flop shots and approach shots with a 60 degree wedge, but over the past year I've really lost confidence in this shot. Just too many times I've left it short or worse yet skulled it over the green.

The past several rounds, I've pulled the lob wedge from the bag and relied on pitching shots around the green with my sand wedge (55 degrees of loft and 10 degrees of bounce). I've gotten very good at getting out of the sand with this club and and this seems to be working for me so I was just wondering.....

How many of you that carry 15 or better handicaps carry a 58 degree or higher lob wedge? The high soft flop sure is a great shot to have in the bag, but can I get into the position of shooting regularly in the mid-eighties without this shot and club?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I think you already know the answer.

I shelved mine a long time ago and put a 5 wood in the bag instead.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
In my humble opinion, next to the putter, the lob wedge is the most difficult club to use effectively in the bag.

(Waiting for the flack from longtime experienced players to yell at me because they've spent hours honing their skills using it for those 2 or 3 shots every 5 rounds or so that could easily be accomplished by a well executed 56*....)

I would take Sling's advice and put something else into your bag that will help your scores and stick to the basics until you get that Cap down a touch. It also takes away from your practice time with the clubs that actually get you on the green when you spend 3/4 of the practice time hitting that 20 yard flop shot. Why not try and get it onto the dance floor instead of missing it?

Makes sense, no? :D

Good luck,

R35

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I have always carried a 56* wedge and no lob wedge, i just recently switched to a 53* and a 58* u can open up a 56* and hit flop shots without a problem

Leek

Jan 23, 2008
I am a reasonably low handicapper. I carry a 60 degree and I can't imagine taking it out of the bag. I use for more than flop shots though; I chip with it, I pitch with it and I use it for a 10:30 length swing from 80-85 yards.

I currently do not carry any FW woods though.

Driver, 2 hybrid, 3-PW, 52, 56 and 60 wedges, plus a putter. If I want a fw wood, I pull the 52 and 56 and replace them with a 54.

OP
gregfletch

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
I think you already know the answer.

I shelved mine a long time ago and put a 5 wood in the bag instead.

Thanks for the post. You are kinda right and funny enough the 5 wood is the club that I added which has really helped...

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I carry a 58º vokey as well as a pw & sw, however to be honest I almost never actually have to use it. It could stay home & I wouldn't miss it.

OP
gregfletch

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
In my humble opinion, next to the putter, the lob wedge is the most difficult club to use effectively in the bag.

(Waiting for the flack from longtime experienced players to yell at me because they've spent hours honing their skills using it for those 2 or 3 shots every 5 rounds or so that could easily be accomplished by a well executed 56*....)

I would take Sling's advice and put something else into your bag that will help your scores and stick to the basics until you get that Cap down a touch. It also takes away from your practice time with the clubs that actually get you on the green when you spend 3/4 of the practice time hitting that 20 yard flop shot. Why not try and get it onto the dance floor instead of missing it?

Makes sense, no? :D

Good luck,

R35

Thanks! I agree that the LW is a difficult club to hit and if you are gonna try to get good with it you really have to practice a ton - taking away time for more useful shots. You're right - I need to concentrate on just getting on the dance floor and letting the putter do the talking - luckily putting is the one area of my game I really like - especially long putts. I never thought of that aspect before your post - thanks again...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
How many of you that carry 15 or better handicaps carry a 58 degree or higher lob wedge? The high soft flop sure is a great shot to have in the bag, but can I get into the position of shooting regularly in the mid-eighties without this shot and club?
I do, and I do, but rarely use the club for flop shots or chipping. The key IMO is to know when not to use the club, and all a matter of being able to resist the "risk~reward" temptation. Kinda like a driver IMO. I won't be pulling either out of my bag anytime soon, even though in the process of learning when not to use the clubs I considered snapping each over my knee a number of times.

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
I removed my 60* a long time ago.
I carry a 56* and use it for most of my pitching and chipping.
For me the key was, to find something comfortable and balanced, then practice all kinds of shots with it.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Don't need a lob wedge if you know how to open it up and hit a flop shot with a SW or PW. Never ever owned one or wanted one. :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Don't need a lob wedge if you know how to open it up and hit a flop shot with a SW or PW. Never ever owned one or wanted one. :)
Probably not a big issue if you can carry 18 clubs in your bag, like what is listed in your signature. :D

Although for those of us limited to 14, my Sw has to much bounce to consider opening it up anywhere but the rough. Then again you bring up a good point, my main reason for keeping a LW is so I don't have to open up another club, or learn more swing variations from within 70-80 yards.

🔥 Latest posts