• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dumping My 3 Wood for a 4th Wedge: Crazy or Genius?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Are you saying I have a small head?

:D

Wedges, just like putters, can be very personal. That's why I prefer Mizzy's and the next guy loves his Oil Can Vokey.

R35
Sorry, "I" may have been a better term. Just a general term. Probably why I can't hit my 3wood, and have trouble on full swings, the whistling sound becomes distracting. Maybe I should wear earplugs tomorrow to test that theory :)

I am kind of sad that I simply got the GW and SW that matches my set, as much as I like the feel of the Tour model LW. Interestingly enough my entire idea on that was to have consistent distance between clubs. So I can't fully say that full shots was never a consideration in my wedge choices, and probably why I would be happier with the others at this point. I keep hearing about the Mizzy's, may be a nice one to demo since I keep eyeing the MP-60's should I become a iron ho

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
You should spend more time at the range with two wedges and more time putting instead of thinking of things like this.

Keep your 3 wood. You'll need it for those days when the driver goes south.

Drop one wedge and carry two. Then pick up a 5 or 7 wood instead.

You can do more with a 53* and a 58* wedge than you can deciding over 3 different wedges that are seperated by 4 yards.

R35

Here is my thought process on this: There is about a 20 yard difference between my full PW and full SW. I find myself at these yardages a lot more often than at 3 wood distances (230 +).

Case in point: on the first 2 holes Sunday I hit the middle of the fairway but was 115 and 122 yards out respectively. This is my gap. A super solid SW is 110 and a solid PW is 130, and since I play on very small mound greens, it's imperative not go long, or you face a horrible pitch. I tried hitting a hard SW on the first and came up short. I then tried to hit an easy PW on the second and flew the green.

Conversely, I hit every par 5 fairway and only had 2 actual chances to reach the green in 2. On the other 2 holes, I layed up to inside 75 yards (one 16*, one 6 iron) and made par. My playing partner tried to nut a 3 wood and hooked it into the OB.

So if I had a GW (it actually came in yesterday), I would have had a better chance of making birdie than risking a possibly horrible shot for the off chance of making eagle. Incidentally, I made an eagle on the shotest par 5 with my 16*.

As far as adding a lofted wood, I think that's what my hybrids are for. I agree whit those that have pointed out the ridiculously low lofts of today's irons. It makes the average monkey (like me) feel good to hit a PW 130 yards, even though in reality it's really a 9 iron. This is the prime reason for both why I need an extra wedge and why I play hybrids.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
There is about a 20 yard difference between my full PW and full SW. I find myself at these yardages a lot more often than at 3 wood distances (230 +).

Case in point: on the first 2 holes Sunday I hit the middle of the fairway but was 115 and 122 yards out respectively. This is my gap. A super solid SW is 110 and a solid PW is 130, and since I play on very small mound greens, it's imperative not go long, or you face a horrible pitch. I tried hitting a hard SW on the first and came up short. I then tried to hit an easy PW on the second and flew the green.

From my experience, the only way I can "bridge" this gap (between my 48deg and 54 deg) is to grip down about 1" on the PW, that seems to take about 10 yards off my PW, making it 115 or so, vs. my 54deg which goes around 100-105. I never use my SW on the course, only in bunkers, as it has a LOT of bounce, and for some strange reason is longer than my other wedges, so a full SW goes 105 from the FW, but very tough to hit from tight lies...

Personally, I would rather have that extra wedge than have to remember how much to grip down, and then correlate that to the swing length, etc.

🔥 Latest posts