• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

E-Bay Counterfeits?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
For the hell of it, I searched E-Bay for "Nike Sasquatch" and got "pages" of them for sale. I didn't pay much attention to the shaft brand but one said to beware of the counterfeit ones advertising this shaft because there were only a few of these outlawed clubs (by USGA) available in Japan. The majority of these Nike SQ drivers were advertising this shaft. Are these ALL counterfeits? Is it safe to buy ANYTHING from E-Bay related to golf? This little experiment scared the hell out of me. Would like to hear of any E-Bay problems or good things also. Thanks.

:smilie_pi

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I have bought a couple clubs off ebay and had any problems, but am aware of the problems other people have encountered. After shipping I can buy alot of stuff locally as cheap.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Sounds like someone is becoming a "Driver Ho" :)

I have bought a few off ebay in the past and never ran into problems. For Golf clubs I usually look for pictures first, then check the sellers rating.

Edit 1 - BTW, I will only buy off eBay from sellers in the USA, simply because I live here and it is easier to track down. Nothing against the other side of the pond, I imagine if I lived in the UK or overseas I would only buy from the same country.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i have bought a few clubs off ebay.my R580xd,TM Mid Rescue 2h.plus some others.i look at the sellers rating and some of the feed back because i have been screwed a few times on differnt items.fake oakleys that ebay sends me a notice a week after i got them and aboput a 1 1/2 after i payed for them.a Eli Manning jersey that had sewn on letters to lead you to belive it Auth NOT!!!

after that i got a little weary and i check out the seller a little better.golf clubsi have never had a problem with luckly

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Things to look out for on E-Bay.
1. A one day auction with a contact e-mail other than going through e-bay's message system.
2. A deal that's too good to be true & seller doesn't take payPal
3. Anything in the Far East unless you know the seller.
4. A high dollar item but the seller can't provide pics.
5. Poor feedback.

A low number of sales doesn't necessarily scare me, we all started with 1. When buying stuff (Camerons lately) I will usually ask the seller a question, or request a picture with a spoon or something if a high $$ item. If the guy doesn't respond or won't/can't take a picture to prove he has the item I walk away.

For an eye opener in the fradulent e-bay market, visit cameroncollector.com & check out the posts in the e-bay auction forum. Those Scotty collectors really have to be on their toes to spot bad auctions. There's lots of them.

(Sling - I hope you don't mind my reference to another forum, if it's a problem please delete my post & I won't transgress again.)

Mrlssi

Jul 17, 2006
Also, look at some of the pictures.

Some of them are pictures that arent taken by the user. There pictures made by Nike from their website most likely, or just googled. Never trust that; EVER.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Mrlssi said:
Also, look at some of the pictures.

Some of them are pictures that arent taken by the user. There pictures made by Nike from their website most likely, or just googled. Never trust that; EVER.
Agreed, this is what I meant. Although there are a couple longstanding golf sellers that I have heard are good that do use factory pictures simply because they sell so many, however they will rate the club 1-10. I still usually shy away from this because I want to see the actual product, and I have heard that a few have not recieved what they expected in quality. You figure if they use real pictures of a good product, and have all positive feedback, it leaves less doubt on what you will be recieving. I have always figured if it is not worth their time to take pictures, it is not worth my time to decide if I can trust what I am buying.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I've bought a shedload on E-bay. It's a club ho's paradise. I've even bought a fake putter once. Got reimbursed, tho.

Am I shyed away from buying there? Not a chance. But there are some thing to look out for, many of which have been outlined above.

1) I look for questions. Is this too good to be true? Does that shaft even come with a stock "whatever" club? Why are the scorelines different on the face? Does the ferrule match? Is the paint the same?

2) Feedback. Check feedback, bigtime. If it raises eyebrows at all, walk away. Feedback is where customer service is ranked, where you can see how the client is treated. If it's bad, you'll see it there. If it's good, same thing.

3) Don't buy from overseas for two reasons. a) Shipping costs and b) fraud. I don't need to harp on this, it's pretty simple. Buying within North America is fine, just be aware of taxes and duties going over the border. Also avoid UPS like the plague. Bunch of bastards, I tells ya...:D

E-bay, for the 300 gazillion transactions they make a day, does have some bogus stuff. But if you use your brain, you won't get burned. And, even when you do, it's quite easy to be covered. E-bay's business is to avoid fraud, so they're going to be on your side. If not, people aren't gonna buy and they'll go elsewhere.

So the next time you see a Sasquatch for $34USD, it's probably not real.

Plus who would want a Sasquatch anyways? (Besides IG, but he's hooked on driver, and can't get it out of his system.....:D)

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Rockford35 said:
Plus who would want a Sasquatch anyways? (Besides IG, but he's hooked on driver, and can't get it out of his system.....:D)
R35

Word up, Rock. :D

As far as E-bay goes, do your research. Find out all you can about the product your buying so you can spot fakes. All the other suggestions above are quite valid as well.

One of the best resurces on golf club prices is the PGA value guide. It gives you a good idea what you can expect the price to be at the end of the auction as long as the bidders don't get too attached to an item.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
ive bought stuff from sellers with low #`s.so im not saying its a bad thing.but you just have to do a little more research on them.

a few weeks ago i bought a jersey from korea.i really checke dthem out and got a great product and deal.they even paid shipping.

todmun

May 22, 2006
I've bought 3 clubs off ebay and have had no ploblems at all. The most recent was the r7 425. It came with a head cover AND the wrench. It was practically brand new and only cost $205 with shipping! If you do a little research and have some patients I think It's well worth it.

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
I just picked up a Nike CPR2 Wood for $59 on Ebay. It was brand new, exactly as advertised. The seller was "Passion for Golf". My one experience with golf equipment with Ebay has been postive.

Either way, like someone else said, I would only deal with someone that uses PayPal. Its easy to set up an account, and free. It won't prevent fraud, but makes it a little more difficult.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online