• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Eagle or Not??

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
have a look at the pics below - happened to somebody at the club where i play often - question was put out to see whether it is an eagle or should the ball be "dropped" and putt made??

what you guys think??
IMG_28007460778518.jpeg
IMG_28001543936334.jpeg

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm sure the green keeper won't mind an attempted hack flop shot?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I can't answer the question with precision but I do know from a similar question I read once (ie. hole damaged by ball hitting liner & bouncing back out), the hole will be put out of play and a new hole created. My spider senses tell me that the force (i.e. rules of golf) will be against you.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It looks a fake. I can't imaging a ball hitting the plastic that hard would not ricochet out. That is not rubber, it is fairly rigid plastic. It looks like a plant, ie someone stood on the ball in a set-up

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
It looks a fake. I can't imaging a ball hitting the plastic that hard would not ricochet out. That is not rubber, it is fairly rigid plastic. It looks like a plant, ie someone stood on the ball in a set-up
I could see it happening. The cup is set 1~+/=" below the surface of the green. Some courses in our area us a small band of plastic to set in that space, leaving the top of the ring just below the surface. Guess I could imagine if a ball was flown in from an extremely high trajectory, it could bend that small ring.
Regardless, with no actual referenced rules, I'd say the ball is NOT holed. The player would need to remove the plugged ball, repair the damage to the cup as best he can, replace the ball as close as possible to where it was plugged... right on the lip of the cup... and make the putt. If a ball is wedged between the flagstick and the edge of the hole, it counts as holed out. In this case, the ball is not touching the flagstick. It's "plugged", not "holed".

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Repairing the pitchmark and replacing the ball in the middle of the pitchmark might make the ball topple in and then count? Placing it on the edge of the hole, is not where it pitched.

OP
J.P.C.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa

was my first thought as well, but the club pro was called from the hole to witness, as per limps post - spot on, top ring is normal plastic. his answer is also spot on - repair, place and make the put.:confused:

at least it's a shot to remember....

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
16/2
Ball Embedded in Side of Hole; All of Ball Below Lip of Hole
Q.A player's ball embeds in the side of a hole. All of the ball is below the level of the lip of the hole. What is the ruling?

A. The ball should be considered holed even though all of the ball is not within the circumference of the hole as required by the Definition of "Holed."

16/3
Ball Embedded in Side of Hole; All of Ball Not Below Lip of Hole
Q.A player's ball embeds in the side of a hole. Part of the ball is above the level of the lip of the hole. What is the ruling?

A .The ball is not holed – see Definition of "Holed." The player may play the ball as it lies or lift the ball under Rule 16-1b, repair the damage under Rule 16-1c and place the ball on the lip of the hole.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Yup, it's a big bird.

There is a little 9 hole course close to me that waters the hell out of their greens and they're super soft. They also put those flimsy little rings in their cups. I was playing in a scramble there and I flew my approach into the side of the cup, knocked the ring out up around the flag stick. My ball didn't go in like what is pictured above but I can totally see where that could happen. So, I'm sure the pic above is legitimate.

🔥 Latest posts