• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Early season thoughts

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Got out to a sim tonight. Here's some initial thoughts:

FT-i Tour - long, easy to fade and perfect ballflight. The FT-5 needs to really wow me.
Creation 80S - soft. Gonna take some getting used to. Nowhere near as tip stiff as the Evolution.
FST 115 Pro shafts (wedges) - very solid. These are my new shafts.
Geek DCT - still long. Hit one with an X Flex, could just kill it.
Geek DCT FW's - not as long as the TEE, but extremely solid. Maybe the best value out there for FW.
My old irons - why did I stop using these?
ITRAX putter - this will never leave my bag.

Jury still out:

Nak irons - still in transit
Ogio EDGE - I used it for about 40 feet of walking from the car to the door. :D

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Grinds Apex 4s - shafts way to soft, need stiffer and heavier, the X100s I bought by accident will no doubt be to tough, so still need shafts. Lofts now strenghtned by 2 or 3 degrees, so bounce is now at Mizuno levels

Geek DCT 3 wood Acculaunch 80- superb pff the tee, draw it a bit to mch off the deck, need to work on that

Encore Fuji 26.3 is fine, yet to hit the Creation/Krank

Wedgs, Ram Trrom and MPT are fine

Rife 2-bar- superb so far

Ogio is great, as is the Schling

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Early season thoughts:
1. Why would anyone in their right mind continue the frustration of this dastardly game. Wonder what would happen if I sold all my clubs, purchased checkers and a checker board, and checked myself into the local nursing home!!
2. Who the heck came up with this 14-club rule. I could, probably, leave half my clubs at home and score just as poorly as with 14...15...20! And, after the round I would, actually, have an excuse!!
3. I like my irons more and more each and every year. What is the life expectency of a set of irons? It would be difficult to find a set more than 30 years old in anyone's bag. So... Let's see. Average human life expectency... 75. Average iron expectency...25. My irons date back to '89. That's almost 20 years. 20 X 3 = 60 in human years... Just about right!!!! Well worn... a few blemishes here and there... But still can kick the butt of a lot of younger irons out there!!!!!!
4. Why can't I talk myself into a newer driver? I'm way too old to be hitting that piece of glavanized pipe shaft in my driver! The X460 Tour never caught on... never developed any cult following. Wouldn't I be better with somenewer technology? Wouldn't I be better with a "ladies" flex? Wouldn't I be better with a "tour release" driver that would guarantee me consistent 320 yard drives down the middle like most everyone who posts to golf forums? Honestly, I would expect the driver to be the item that does get changed sometime this year. Just haven't fallen head over heels for a new "love".
5. I cannot believe what this putter has done to the confidence level. I cannot wait to get out on the course each time... just to putt. Have struggled and struggled and struggled with the flat-stick for the past 3-4 years. Have tried small mallets... large mallets. Have tried blades and bellys. My wife takes care of an elderly couple. I even contemplated stealing one of their canes... weighting the handle to 350 grams by slapping a little lead tape on it... and trying to putt. (If it would have improved my putting they could have used their walker instead!!!!) The past couple of rounds have broght more ooohs and aaaahs from my regular group as I've dropped the putts which used to give me trouble. This year could be remarkable... until something else in the game kicks me in the teeth!

We are blessed to have the opportunity to play one of the greatest games in the world. Each and every time I step onto the first tee box I give thanks to the Good Lord for giving me another chance to enjoy the great game of golf. I take two or three practice swings to loosen up and address the ball with my driver... visualizing the 250 yard draw down around the corner, splitting the green fairway. The face of the driver meets ProV with a soft, resiliant yet powerful feel and I watch the *%#@& piece of crap ball duck hook itself into the left rough some 125 yards off the tee box! The driver sails through the cool, morning air to in front of the ladies tee and another round has begun!!!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The new Renegade is staying in my bag. I'm glad I don't play tournament golf, as it would be tough to give it up. I'm really driving the ball well with this thing.

The Cobra Hybrids are still awesome in every way.

My new MacGregor MT irons are great. Incredible feel, and a fine balance of feedback and forgiveness. The Nippon shafts are great.

Tim, I want you to drive to Tampa and bitch-slap me the next time I buy another wedge. I will pay for the gas. There is no reason for me to ever look at any wedges other than my Srixons. I keep buying new ones, looking for better feel, performance, versatility - and they just aren't out there. Adams, Callaway, Maruman, Mizuno, Ping, Titleist - they've all fallen by the wayside. When will I learn?

My Newport AOP. I bought this putter from Wirehair, and sold him a Newport Mil-Spec. I had putted with the Mil-Spec for a while, and loved everything about it, except the feel. It always seemed a bit soft to me. The Newport has everything I loved about the Mil-Spec, plus the nice clicky feel I want. I don't see this putter going anywhere soon.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I hit 2 buckets outdoors yesterday for the first time all year. Conclusion was I am rustier than the Titanic, and my hip is pretty destroyed this morning.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Early season thoughts:
1. Why would anyone in their right mind continue the frustration of this dastardly game. Wonder what would happen if I sold all my clubs, purchased checkers and a checker board, and checked myself into the local nursing home!!
2. Who the heck came up with this 14-club rule. I could, probably, leave half my clubs at home and score just as poorly as with 14...15...20! And, after the round I would, actually, have an excuse!!
3. I like my irons more and more each and every year. What is the life expectency of a set of irons? It would be difficult to find a set more than 30 years old in anyone's bag. So... Let's see. Average human life expectency... 75. Average iron expectency...25. My irons date back to '89. That's almost 20 years. 20 X 3 = 60 in human years... Just about right!!!! Well worn... a few blemishes here and there... But still can kick the butt of a lot of younger irons out there!!!!!!
4. Why can't I talk myself into a newer driver? I'm way too old to be hitting that piece of glavanized pipe shaft in my driver! The X460 Tour never caught on... never developed any cult following. Wouldn't I be better with somenewer technology? Wouldn't I be better with a "ladies" flex? Wouldn't I be better with a "tour release" driver that would guarantee me consistent 320 yard drives down the middle like most everyone who posts to golf forums? Honestly, I would expect the driver to be the item that does get changed sometime this year. Just haven't fallen head over heels for a new "love".
5. I cannot believe what this putter has done to the confidence level. I cannot wait to get out on the course each time... just to putt. Have struggled and struggled and struggled with the flat-stick for the past 3-4 years. Have tried small mallets... large mallets. Have tried blades and bellys. My wife takes care of an elderly couple. I even contemplated stealing one of their canes... weighting the handle to 350 grams by slapping a little lead tape on it... and trying to putt. (If it would have improved my putting they could have used their walker instead!!!!) The past couple of rounds have broght more ooohs and aaaahs from my regular group as I've dropped the putts which used to give me trouble. This year could be remarkable... until something else in the game kicks me in the teeth!

We are blessed to have the opportunity to play one of the greatest games in the world. Each and every time I step onto the first tee box I give thanks to the Good Lord for giving me another chance to enjoy the great game of golf. I take two or three practice swings to loosen up and address the ball with my driver... visualizing the 250 yard draw down around the corner, splitting the green fairway. The face of the driver meets ProV with a soft, resiliant yet powerful feel and I watch the *%#@& piece of crap ball duck hook itself into the left rough some 125 yards off the tee box! The driver sails through the cool, morning air to in front of the ladies tee and another round has begun!!!
Great stuff, Limpalong!
:biglol:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Tim, I want you to drive to Tampa and bitch-slap me the next time I buy another wedge. I will pay for the gas. There is no reason for me to ever look at any wedges other than my Srixons. I keep buying new ones, looking for better feel, performance, versatility - and they just aren't out there. Adams, Callaway, Maruman, Mizuno, Ping, Titleist - they've all fallen by the wayside. When will I learn?

I warn you every time and you still do not listen. :laugh:

I still say that eventually your going to miss that 60* you traded away for yet another dust collecting wedge that will be up against the flowered wall paper in no time.

I, too, am enthralled with the Renegade. I still have not gotten it out to a course, but with rates getting set to drop, I will be out on the course in no time to see what she can do.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My old irons - why did I stop using these?
ITRAX putter - this will never leave my bag.
R35

I still think that you will eventually return to your MP-30's. Those irons have been the only consistent part of your bag for that last several years.

As far as the ITRAX goes, I recall several claims that your Odyssey will never leave your bag over the years and now your putting with a cattle brand. Eventually, you will succumb to another flat stick.:D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I warn you every time and you still do not listen. :laugh:

I still say that eventually your going to miss that 60* you traded away for yet another dust collecting wedge that will be up against the flowered wall paper in no time.

I, too, am enthralled with the Renegade. I still have not gotten it out to a course, but with rates getting set to drop, I will be out on the course in no time to see what she can do.
Thankd God I'm a ho n' stow, else I might have been stupid, and traded away the 52º and the 56º. I don't know, you might be right about the 60º. It's been out of my bag for such a long time now, and I really don't miss it. I can use the 56º for almost any situation that calls for a lob wedge.

so will we see the maruman in the classified section soon
It's for sale right now. $80 firm. Shipping included CONUS.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Since I never quit playing during the winter, I'm not sure whether this time of year is "early season" for me. Certainly the weather has warmed up enough in the last month that it is more comfortable to play in short sleeve shirts. This also seems to increase the ball distance slightly.

905R V2 remains my primary driver. I had it cut down to 44" and it's a lot easier to hit straight. I just had my CT250FC reshafted with a NVS at 45" in an effort to find a little more distance off the tee. I've only had it for a day, so no verdict yet.

Hitting the fairway woods off the deck better after going to a slightly open stance.

20° & 23° Nickent hybrids will stay. Took the 26° out because I like the feel of my 5 iron.

Dana made Hogan Apexes went back in the bag replacing stock Mizuno MX-11s. The consistency of the custom shafts is too sweet to pass up.

52° & 60° wedges are the best clubs in the bag.

Putting with Bobby Grace belly putter is getting better after reading Rotella's Putting Out Of Your Mind. I had 32 putts 2 days ago, and only 2 3-putts, both of which were from over 40'.

My next tournament is in 9 days. So far this year, I have been choking like a dog in tournaments, and playing OK in casual rounds. I have to change my mindset going into these things if I'm going to post a decent score.

Lack of distance remains my most irritating stat. I'm about ready to sign up for internet training on Ben Jackson's site, as I have tried just about everything else, to no avail.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I still think that you will eventually return to your MP-30's. Those irons have been the only consistent part of your bag for that last several years.

As far as the ITRAX goes, I recall several claims that your Odyssey will never leave your bag over the years and now your putting with a cattle brand. Eventually, you will succumb to another flat stick.:D

Very true. For the record, the MP-30's are gone. Nak's 100% this summer. :beach3:

And, that Odyssey is still in that same bag and has never left. So, in actuality, I was telling the truth. :D

Rusty as hell last night, but I really put the moves on the ball well for being the first swings of the season. My bread and butter (FW and driver) need work, but I'm pretty dialed with the wedges. And those FST shafts in the wedges, I'm easily a club longer than I was with the Rifles. Go figure.:mgw:

R35

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Like SiberianDVM, this is just a warmer part of the season for me. At any rate, I have dedicated much more effort to playing the game since I really got the bug in October, going from a 6-times a year hacker to pretty much a fanatic. But here are my current observations...

1) I've become a complete Nickent fanboi. The only non-Nickent clubs I currently carry are an SMT 59° and a NC Voodoo Daddy putter. I keep trying other stuff, but nothing flows as naturally for me as my Nickent stuff. It's unfortunate that their neon green stuff clashes so strongly with my orange and blue Auburn University bag.

2) I'm the only 32 year old I know that actually prefers graphite shafts in his irons.

3) Now that I've finally started trying to make a fundamentally sound swing rather than trying to smash a little white ball with a stick, I actually hit the ball straight most of the time. And farther. I'm still not very good at all, but it's very nice to walk up to the ball and think about where I want to hit it, rather than hoping I actually hit it.

So far I've been very pleased with my progress over the last 6 months. Much more so than my previous progress over the course of about 2.5 years. I'm actually enjoying playing rather than just enjoying hanging out with my buddies and having a few beers in the woods. I think this is going to be a very good year.

🔥 Latest posts