• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ebay question

jackace

May 12, 2007
I bought a set of MP-32s from ebay. They were a pretty good deal and were a 3-pw set. The seller told me in a msg the clubs were all standard L/L/L. I get the clubs and take them to the range to hit them a few days after and something just doesn't feel right. My specs are standard L/L/L (kind of nice I know), and I'm having a hard time with the clubs the entire time. I then start measuring the clubs myself and the 3 and 4 iron are the same length. :shocked: At this point I don't trust anything the seller said and I take all the clubs to the shop to have them all individually tested. The results are the 3 iron is standard L/L/L but the 4-pw are 0.5 inches long, lofts are 2 degrees strong and lie ranges from 1-3 degrees upright. The golf tech said it appears the 4-pw were custom fitted to a specific person. After hearing all this from the tech I msg the seller and ask for a full refund and I'll return these clubs you lied to me about (I didn't actually call him a lier in the msg I sent)

Now my question, is that a valid enough reason to want my money back? The cost to fix the clubs will push the cost of the set way past what I was wanting to spend on used clubs. Second, if he refuses to give my money back is the msging (i have it saved on my Ebay account) enough for me to win a Paypal dispute. The actual auction never said anything about the L/L/L, but I asked him before I bid on the clubs and he replied standard.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Tough one here. I would have to say if the seller does not agree to a refund, Paypal won't be much help. Paypal is awful. My dad bought a $1200 coin that was a flat out fake. Paypal told him to send it back to the seller. He did that and they still wouldn't refund him his money. He was SOL... no coin to prove it and no refund.

On a good note... Dick's Sports is now doing all sorts of clubwork. They bend irons for $4 each. That would only be $28. Personally I'd leave them the 1/2" long and just grip down a bit.... knowing I have that extra 1/2" if I want to step on one.

OP
J

jackace

May 12, 2007
There is no Dick's where I live and the tech I talked with said it would be about $50 just to bend the clubs and more to fix the length problem. Another problem is the 3 iron is standard everything, but because the 4 iron is 2 degrees strong in loft and the same length as the 3 iron I hit both clubs about the same distance.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
There is no Dick's where I live and the tech I talked with said it would be about $50 just to bend the clubs and more to fix the length problem. Another problem is the 3 iron is standard everything, but because the 4 iron is 2 degrees strong in loft and the same length as the 3 iron I hit both clubs about the same distance.

Ez's estimate was sans re-grip so I guess 50 would be in the right ball park. Although, with a few extra dollars you could set yourself up to do all your own regrips. Also, a little pipe cutter from HD would run you the same as regripping just a couple of clubs. Instead of thinking of the money as being wasted on a used set, you can think of it as an investment in the tools to save you from meaningless charges down the road.

On the bright side, be glad you bought forged and not some unadjustable casted iron...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
My mortgage says WBL has a set of Mizunos by this time next season.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ez's estimate was sans re-grip so I guess 50 would be in the right ball park. Although, with a few extra dollars you could set yourself up to do all your own regrips. Also, a little pipe cutter from HD would run you the same as regripping just a couple of clubs. Instead of thinking of the money as being wasted on a used set, you can think of it as an investment in the tools to save you from meaningless charges down the road.

On the bright side, be glad you bought forged and not some unadjustable casted iron...

Pull 'em and tip them.
icon12.gif

Pings are cast and you can adjust them. But only so many times. :)

No place around here will do them. I asked about the Vokey's and they said no way. They've tried and snapped every one. They now have a "no cast" policy. I wouldn't do it unless they have it in writing they will replace it. Besides, I thought that was the whole point of the "dot" with the Pings. They are cast to specs.

OP
J

jackace

May 12, 2007
Thanks for the input guys its been a help.

Just one question though, am I justified in wanting a refund or some kind of solution (that doesn't cost me money), or is that just part of buying used golf clubs on Ebay?

Irish

May 9, 2007
I think you're justified as you clearly asked him about the spec of the irons and if he stated that they were standard and they are not well then he's pretty much not described the item correctly....weather you'll be able to get a refund is another matter entirely

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Unfortunately, what is and what should be are two vastly different things in the eBay world. You can document that the seller misrepresented the clubs, so you eBay SHOULD help you get your money back. But I hear over and over again that in the eBay world you're pretty much on your own.

I would write to the seller and tell them that you don't want to give them negative feedback, but will have no choice if they don't do the right thing by refunding your money. Sometimes that's all it takes. And if I were to send something back to a seller, I would insist on sending it COD - certified funds.

OP
J

jackace

May 12, 2007
Wrote the seller, but he refuses to do anything and says he won't do anything to fix the problem.

edit- I think the problem I will have with the dispute is the listing doesn't say anything about the length, loft and lie, but I sent him a message before I bid and he replied standard. That might be what ends up losing the resolution dispute for me.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Wrote the seller, but he refuses to do anything and says he won't do anything to fix the problem.

edit- I think the problem I will have with the dispute is the listing doesn't say anything about the length, loft and lie, but I sent him a message before I bid and he replied standard. That might be what ends up losing the resolution dispute for me.

Of course he won't do anything abou it, do you have any idea how hard it is to sell irons that are so drastically customized?! :laugh:

Seriously though, is there any chance the seller was selling a set that he bought used and so he didn't intentionally mislead you but rather just didn't know any better? Grant it, he still shouldn't have replied "standard" if he didn't know for sure.

OP
J

jackace

May 12, 2007
On a good note... Dick's Sports is now doing all sorts of clubwork. They bend irons for $4 each. That would only be $28. Personally I'd leave them the 1/2" long and just grip down a bit.... knowing I have that extra 1/2" if I want to step on one.

See even if its $4 an iron thats still $28 for lie and loft and the length of the 3 iron would need to go up 0.5 inches or the length of the 4-pw would need to go down 0.5 inches. Best case scenario I can reuse the grips (which appear to be brand new or hardly used) so that will be another $15-$20 to extend the 3 iron.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.