• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Eidolon wedges round one

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
When I first saw a close up of the face of these wedges I thought, "ball shredder". The faces have small circular milling marks on them. Similar to what you see on a milled putter only not as pronounced.

I currently use Cleveland CG12's so that's my basis for comparison.

I have never been one to get a wedge shot to spin back and using these I still can't but I have to say they stop on a fecking dime. I was never more than 12 inches from the pitch mark all day.

The dual grind is interesting. We played today after a one hour rain delay so things were soggy and I was taking HUGE chunks of real estate. Much more than normal. I have to get used to this wedge grind that seems to 'dig in' more than the 14* of bounce that I am used to.

There is also an interesting booklet that came with these wedges. a short game bible of sorts. I'll talk more about that after I put a few more rounds on these puppies.

Back to the shredding aspect. I was using a Callaway Tour i ball and while it didn't shred in the normal sense of the word, it did remove the first layer. It's like the tour i is painted and when scuffed, the paint is removed exposing a yellowish base layer. That's the best way to describe it. Anyway, one ball, shot after 9 holes.

Bottom line so far, great stopping power! I never hit a wedge like it.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have to get used to this wedge grind that seems to 'dig in' more than the 14* of bounce that I am used to.

14º bounce, seriously? You play in a marsh or something? Around here with the ultra hard packed dirt we have, anything more than 8º is almost useless.

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
it is moist most times, almost no hardpan.

here is the current set up.

52º Gap 297.5 g 52º 64º 35.50" D-3 18º / 3º
56º Mid 304.5 g 56º 64º 35.25” D-5 30º / 7º

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Yep to WI-Golfer. With our sand base in Central Wisconsin I use 4* to 8* bounce.

sling---how was distance control, trajectory, with full shots when you are getting all that spin? Any changes as to the way you need to play the shots?

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Interesting thing about distance control....

The grip has gold bands every inch. Grip down in 1/2 or 1 inch increments, easily repeatable. I did not have a chance to dial that in but ball flight is pretty much the same as my Cleveland's but they don't release as much on pitch shots.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I bought the 52-degree model. Went with the firm graphite shaft, based on a suggestion from Terry. I've played two rounds with the wedge.

For the first half of the first round I was not particularly impressed. I thought the wedge felt soft; it was like the regular Odyssey insert feels to me - I couldn't really feel the hit. And the wedge seemed about 10-15 yards shorter than my Vokey SM 52-degree. Like Sling, my first round with the wedge was on fairly soft fairways, and I was getting a little steep and digging some impressive divots. I did notice that the ball spun off this wedge very well.

Towards the end of the round I was starting to warm up to the wedge. Distance was shorter than my usual gap wedge, but it was very predictable distance - In fact, it was the beat distance control I've ever had with a wedge. Dispersion was excellent - I like this graphite shaft. I also started getting used to the feel of the wedge. The shaft does dampen the vibration, but now I was feeling it as a sense of smoothness, rather than softness.

Today's round really has me feeling like I'm going to buy the 48-degree model. I was really dialed in from 100 yards and in with the gap wedge, spin was superb (meaning hit and stop was the shot of the day.) I did have a hard time getting used to the fact that the ball stops dead from anywhere - even from 10 yards out with a D2 Distance ball. No bump and runs with this gap wedge! The V-sole is very interesting - I was able to open the face wide open on a tight lie and nip the ball just like it was a low-bounce lob wedge, which, essentially, it is.

Interesting wedge, it has a "personality" all its own. I don't carry a LW, and I am getting very attached to my Vokey SW. I'd have to get a free demo of the 56-degree model to worry about replacing it. Like I said though, the 48-degree model intigues me, since I think it would fill in beautifully between my current PW and the 52-degree Eidolon.

The booklet Sling refers to is a primer on learning a system (SCOR) for managing specific wedge distances. It's very similar to the Pelz method, you still chart the average distance you hit each wedge, except that you vary the amount you choke up and/or open the clubface, whereas Pelz uses variable backswing length to achieve the same results. It seems to make more sense to me than the Pelz method. I can make the same swing and be precise with the amount I choke down on the grip, much more easily than I can control my backswing length.

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I did have a hard time getting used to the fact that the ball stops dead from anywhere

Haha! I'm not the only one. :)

I suspect that if I had a better swing I could get that desirable backspin pretty easy but for now....I'll take the dead stop.

Chip shots release normally I find.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

I suspect that if I had a better swing I could get that desirable backspin pretty easy but for now....I'll take the dead stop.

I don't even know what a "chip shot" is. :laugh:

All my short shots are just miniature full swings.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States

Hell, I would be happy with the dead stop also. That & the backspin are 2 things I need a lot of work on. This rolling all the way across the green crap has to stop.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Hell, I would be happy with the dead stop also. That & the backspin are 2 things I need a lot of work on. This rolling all the way across the green crap has to stop.

Interesting, and great reviews guys. I was considering them already, looks like once I recouperate from my latest shaft ho'ing excursions I'll have to order a set of them.

xiphos

Sep 7, 2008
I gave the Eidilon wedges a try. They are pretty good. Just lay the blade open a little and it will not dig as much.
His book is pretty good.

🔥 Latest posts