• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

EPIC shaft questions

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Looking at an Epic 65R .335. I've got a Ping G5 (.350) that currently has a new Comp NT 65R awaiting installation...I've been playing it with the stock TFC shaft. I also have a J33R 460 (.335) on the way with a factory installed VS Proto 65 R.

For comparison purposes, I have PL Blue 65R in an Adams 460D that I like, and the 75R in a G5 3 wood and in some Adams RPM fairways that I like also.

Anybody want to try and compare/contrast any of the above to help me decide if I should mess with this Epic?

It's not a need, it's just a whim...:laugh:

OP
MCDavis

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Also, why does Grafalloy "strongly discourage the reuse of Epic from one clubhead to another?

OP
MCDavis

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Yeah, I remember the same thing. I'm thinking I'm better off with the shafts I've got.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I liked the Epic when I tried it out earlier in the year, but I do not think that its a shaft you want to be pulling in and out of different heads. I am pretty sure Ez had some issues with his trials, and the shaft material is quite different that either steel or graphite. For me, too expensive to be messing with it.

The shaft itself plays quite nice. I found it felt better than either the Blue or Comp NT and appeared to have a good launch for my swing.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've seen a broken one that had been installed incorrectly by a pro!!! it was returned to the fellas at Midas golf. From the look of the broken cross section it looked like a slim/fine graphite shaft with a very thin steel shaft/shell around the outside. If installed incorrectly it must damage the outer shell making it weak as a baby. It's meant to perform awesomely (if installed correctly) & I have mulled over the idea of trying one.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Looking at an Epic 65R .335. I've got a Ping G5 (.350) that currently has a new Comp NT 65R awaiting installation...I've been playing it with the stock TFC shaft. I also have a J33R 460 (.335) on the way with a factory installed VS Proto 65 R.

For comparison purposes, I have PL Blue 65R in an Adams 460D that I like, and the 75R in a G5 3 wood and in some Adams RPM fairways that I like also.

Anybody want to try and compare/contrast any of the above to help me decide if I should mess with this Epic?

It's not a need, it's just a whim...:laugh:

I have played the Comp NT 65 in a couple of drivers (TM R5, Sumo) and the Epic in a Sumo.

The Comp NT is the superior shaft. If you like the PL Blue, you will like the NT. The Epic, despite its design premise (metal shaft stability, graphite shaft length) was one of the most inconsistent shafts I've ever hit. Don't bother.

OP
MCDavis

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with the Comp NT for the Ping and play the Proto in the J33R. Too many mixed reviews on the Epic.

Thanks, all!!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The EPIC is nothing special at all. No way its worth anywhere near its retail price. Not a bad $30 shaft, for $150 its a complete joke.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The EPIC is nothing special at all. No way its worth anywhere near its retail price. Not a bad $30 shaft, for $150 its a complete joke.

You think the same of the NT! Except maybe you think it's a $0.30 shaft.:laugh:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The NT is far better than the EPIC imo, and I am not a big fan of the NT LOL.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The NT is far better than the EPIC imo, and I am not a big fan of the NT LOL.

You're hitting the BB Solutions now, right? Or are you still lovin' that Creation? Or is it a Graman? A VS Proto? I lost track...

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
You're hitting the BB Solutions now, right? Or are you still lovin' that Creation? Or is it a Graman? A VS Proto? I lost track...

I thought Lyle was back to the heavy NV in the driver - no?

Lyle - please fill us in on your latest hoing/gamer

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.