• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Eracer--belated thanks for swingt advice

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Eracer--belated thanks for swing advice

Sometime last year we were talking about grip changes.

Short thumb --left hand. You mentioned you instructor promoted a short (wee) thumb for left hand. Wee thumb is the BOMB.:) I get loose at the top of my swing losing full solid contact between my hands and the club grip. Short thumb and suddenly I'm solid up there and the result is a clean ON PLANE swing. Took me a year to figure out what you said. Duh--(I just hit my forehead with my fist to emphasis the DUH)

When we play I owe you..... Perhaps a few mulligans when chipping. Work for you??????:laugh:

:drool:This "smile" is posted for no particular reason other than I find it amusing!!!!!!!

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You'll have to (duh) let me know what that means because I'm having the exact same problem you described here.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Will get pics up--but in mean time. Rather than the thumb resting along the grip retract it a bit so the pad (opposite the fingernail) is mainly resting on the grip. This position will lock the grip between the thumb pad and the opposing fingers more securely. Therefore the "piccolo" at the top of the swing is less likely.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
OOOHHHHH...............I'll have to try that. Thanks. (I assume this is the right hand thumb????)

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Here are the pics----just got back from field so that' good old Wisconsin Soil on those hands.
Short vs Long thumb 3.jpg

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the pics, I'll have to see how I do it.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Interesting, I'm having a ton of grip issues with my left hand right now. For whatever reason absolutely nothing feels comfortable all of a sudden. I've been trying different thumb positions and there is one position (can't think of right now) that just sends a spike of pain right up my arm as I cock my wrist. The pain is enough to actually stop me mid-swing. :(

I'll give this short thumb thing a conscious effort tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.