• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Eracer in Scotland

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
It's 9:00 Monday morning (that's 4:00 am back home) here in Aberdeen, Scotland. We drove here through some nice country after spending a few fun days in Glasgow. Anyway, we got into Glasgow last Thursday, and enjoyed a round at Western Gailes, a links course (what else?) on the western shore. What a different type of game. Shots I thought were in the middle of the fairway were nowhere to be found, as they had angled off left or right after bouncing over an unseen mound. Bunkers so deep! And the wind! Had a great time. Holes 7 -13 are hard by the sea, with the wind howling across the fairways. Beautiful holes. Nice course, though a bit pricey at what works out at today's exchange rate to be around $200 per round. I've attached a photo from my cell phone. Sorry I don't have better photos, but I can't lug my good camera around. We're playing Cruden Bay today, and I'll try to get some proper photos.

I have a new appreciation for the guys on this forum who play courses like this and score well.
IMAGE_00014.jpg

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
You see Scottish courses are much more challenging in general than anywhere else in the world.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Western Gailes is only about 10-15 miles from where I live... It's a nice course...

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Cruden Bay

Wind 25-40 mph.
Golf course - BRUTAL
Combination - Me no have much fun today.

Just a really really tough day. This course is like a PS2 game that you design to mess your friends up. Absolutely stunning, but the wind and rain made it a very tough day for this poor hacker. It was a test of will, more than it was a test of golf. On a 546-yard par-5 into the teeth of the wind the hole felt like a par-10. I actually crushed a 4-hybrid on my second shot. It went 125 yards.

Unfortunately, I have to use today's score for the USA. Oh well...
Cruden Bay 1_small.jpg
Cruden Bay 2_small.jpg

golfman2760

Aug 25, 2005
nice pics

Scotland looks like an under rated country

I'll oneday play on the links of that course and the famous St Andrews
ive played St Andrews on PS2 and its my favourite course

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
A good friend of mine played Carnoustie about three years ago. He said it rained every minute and the wind howled the entire time.

This fellow is a 17 handcrapper.

He told me the very finest round of golf he ever played was that day at Carnoustie. Said it was the only round he was able to really get the ball to do what he wanted on virtually every shot.

When he walked off the green, his caddie said sincerely with a firm handshake, "Fine round lad".

He shot a 92.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Lol. Thought that was building up to something a bit better than "92." Good, all the same :D

Eracer: How did you get that shot of the links from way up high ?? I take it that was off their site or summat ? :confused:

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
By the way, is Cruden Bay away up near Aberdeen, is it ?

Now that *would* be pretty ghastly weather - you ain't gonna get much windier / colder than that !!!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Andy_79 said:
Lol. Thought that was building up to something a bit better than "92." Good, all the same :D

You know Andy that is the way he told the story. We were sitting around in the grill after playing. He had just shot a very good round for him (around 83 or so) and we were commenting on his stellar play that day.

So he launches into how truly wonderfully well he played at Carnoustie. Said his caddie would say, "Aim there" and he would swing and hit. Off the ball would go in the indicated direction. Same with the bump and runs round the green and with the putts. Caddie shows the way and he follows quite well.

So I am thinking to myself, "He must have broken 80 that day...pretty darn good for a 17 handicapper playing under those weather conditions".

Then he says, "I shot a 92. Best damn round of my life".

So he really made the point about how hard that golf course is and how hard it is to play in weather like that. Over here we just stay home on those days...

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Andy_79 said:

Eracer: How did you get that shot of the links from way up high ?? I take it that was off their site or summat ? :confused:

That view is from on top of the 10th tee, looking back over the outward nine. It was quite the view, I must say.

Cruden Bay is about 20 miles north of Aberdeen (which is where I am at the moment). I thought our first round at Western Gailes was cold and windy. HAH! Couldn't hold a candle to the conditions at Cruden Bay.

We played Royal Aberdeen on Tuesday. Fine course. Billed as the second oldest golf club in existence. Again, very windy, but not as cold, and the hailstorms stayed away. Yes, it actually rained ice on us for a short time at Cruden Bay. What fun!

Seriously - If you come to Aberdeen, I recommend playing Royal Aberdeen, and just skipping Cruden Bay. Royal Aberdeen is a true test of golf.

Well, we're leaving tomorrow for St. Andrews, and we'll be playing on Friday.

Until then - cheers! We did the Whisky Trail today and I've got to sleep off this single-malt.

Oh, and by the way - we filled the tank in our rental car today.

$140.00

That's One-Hundred and Forty DOLLARS!

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
BBD, You gotta be kidding me!!! Lochgreen is RUBBISH!!! It's a public municipal course, which is kept in awful condition and you're allowed on it wearing jeans or a tracksuit, or whatever. It honestly is RUBBISH... If you think that Lochgreen was good, you gotta try St Nicholas, Prestwick, Royal Troon, Barassie, Belleisle, Gailes (any except North), Dundonald, Portland, and maybe even Darley. They are all the courses within 15 miles or so, which are better than Lochgreen...

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Right Now unfortunatly. We are scheduled for two weeks of non stop sunshine and then rain and drizzle the rest of the year.
Weather wise it's pot luck what you get, it can and will rain at anytime of year.

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
Scotty01292 said:
BBD, You gotta be kidding me!!! Lochgreen is RUBBISH!!! It's a public municipal course, which is kept in awful condition and you're allowed on it wearing jeans or a tracksuit, or whatever. It honestly is RUBBISH... If you think that Lochgreen was good, you gotta try St Nicholas, Prestwick, Royal Troon, Barassie, Belleisle, Gailes (any except North), Dundonald, Portland, and maybe even Darley. They are all the courses within 15 miles or so, which are better than Lochgreen...
Scotty, my point was it's great to golf in Scotland, the birthplace of golf (or so the Scots would have you believe;) )

Anyway, you're right, it's not a great course, although it used to be an Open qualifier course. I didn't choose it, and it was on short notice, but it was fun to golf in Scotland nonetheless. And I did get a look at Royal Troon from the wrong side of the tracks.

By the way, dress codes don't necessarily make the course.

🔥 Latest posts