• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Essentials for new golfer?

rpxr400

Mar 26, 2008
Hi - I am just getting into golf. I just bought a set of clubs yesterday - Wilson Deep Red.

Now, I need to know what the other essentials are needed to get me going - other than some balls and shoes.

Myself and a coworker will be taking some lessons shortly. I know I have a long way to go, but I'm looking forward to learning the game.

Thanks, in advance for your suggestions.

Rick

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
tees of the proper height.
golf gloves(either synthetic or leather with leather being much more expensive and less durable but also better feeling)
maybe a golf hat
goflf bag

i cant think of any more, but im sure that there are more.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
in addition to clubs, you'll need some balls and a bag to put the clubs in

patience and a good attitude are important to - sometimes beer helps :)

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
For balls, get low spin. Go to a golf shop and ask for low spin balls. Much less frustrating when you are new to the game.

OP
R

rpxr400

Mar 26, 2008
Thanks for the responses so far. The set came with a bag. It's a complete set, consisting of:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1, 3, 5 Titanium Composite Woods with Graphite shafts.
3 & 4 Hybrid clubs with graphite shafts
5, 6, 7, 8, 9 irons with True Temper Steel shafts
Pitching wedge, Sand wedge and Lob wedge with Steel shafts
An alignment putter with double milled polymer face
Deluxe stand bag and 3 headcovers for the driver and fairway woods.
[/FONT]

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
In addition to the stuff mentioned above, here's what you outta carry.

• A light weight rain jacket.
  • A couple of Band Aids & a roll of tape.
  • A sharpie to mark golf balls.
  • A beer coozie.
  • A towel
You'll also accumulate "miscellaneous stuff" in your bag, here's what I found in mine:

• Pencils, lots of pencils.
  • A mini-bottle of Jim Beam
  • Aleve
  • Tic-Tacs
  • A watch
  • An oil cloth (for carbon steel putters)

Release

Mar 2, 2008
Besides the good list generated above.
Sun Screen ( non oil type, spf 30 or stronger ), Advil or other type of ibuprofen.
I can't stress the importance of a goof pair of golf shoes, a comfortable pair but also provide good traction will benefit your health and stabilize your weight shift during swing.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
In addition to the stuff mentioned above, here's what you outta carry.

• A light weight rain jacket.
  • A couple of Band Aids & a roll of tape.
  • A sharpie to mark golf balls.
  • A beer coozie.
  • A towel
You'll also accumulate "miscellaneous stuff" in your bag, here's what I found in mine:

• Pencils, lots of pencils.
  • A mini-bottle of Jim Beam
  • Aleve
  • Tic-Tacs
  • A watch
  • An oil cloth (for carbon steel putters)
Let's see, big bottle of Crown Royal, Aleve bottle that contains Ibuprofen, Range Finder, GPS, Visiball Sunglasses, portable battery powered Margarita maker, :laugh:let's see, they always say a pictures worth a thousand words, although I am not sure I can say this in a thousand words...

Maybe this will help, or not...
3367d1175344418-club-ho-s-pfft-you-got-easy-entire_resize.jpg

Actually outside outside of what has been mentioned, a couple others to consider especially if you ride in a cart or don't mind the extra weight (although I carry them even when I walk) are possibly a little mini first aid kit with among other things some sunscreen, Cortaid or something for bites or Poison Ivy, first aid tape mainly for calluses on hands, bug spray, a spike tool and a few extra shoe spikes, and definately a pair of sunglasses just for the bag. If you get into leagues or competition, may not hurt to have a rule book that you can get for a couple bucks. Also carry some bigger ziplocs to protect stuff from water if need be.

edit 1 - I think I need to do an update to "What's in the bag", this picture is old

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Geez, guys...all you need to play 18 holes is clubs, bag w/towel attached, balls, tees (which can double as a divot tool if you know how), shoes, and your fluid of choice. Put the lotion on at the car or before you arrive. If it doesn't last 4 hours, it's cheap...buy better lotion. Grab a snack at the turn and eat it on the way to 10.

You'll especially appreciate this if you walk and carry...makes the bag much, much lighter.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Don't forget a bright pastel colored, striped collored golf shirt. While you're at it, how about a pair of pants to match as well as a pair of white golf shoes. Oh yeah, you'll need a white belt with that.

:D

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Don't forget a bright pastel colored, striped collored golf shirt. While you're at it, how about a pair of pants to match as well as a pair of white golf shoes. Oh yeah, you'll need a white belt with that.

:D

Or, you can wear this:

Just be sure to bring your "A" game. :D
golfknicker-com_1990_168928.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.