• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Euros ditch the 5th Major?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
First the World #1 decides not to play and now young Rory McIlroy announces his intent not to play. Here's what he says:

For everyone who is interested, the reason I'm not playing TPC this year is because I've never thought the golf course has set up that well for me. Hence 2 missed cuts in 2 years. I have no sort of vendetta against Tim Finchem or the PGA Tour, I love playing in the US and have always found the people very welcoming. I'm sure one day I'll join the PGA tour again, but right now I want to put all my efforts into Europe and the race to Dubai. Hope this clears a few things up!

Here's an interesting link outlining the rationale behind Westwood's decision Westwood to skip Sawgrass - National golf | Examiner.com

Looks like PGA Tour's decision to limit these guys to ~10 events is starting to hurt. I wonder if any more of these announcements by top players not on PGA Tour will force a rethink.

Overall I think it is a pity. The TPC is a great event. If the Euros decide to effectively boycott, then does it lose some of its value?

Thoughts?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Yep, I think it's a pity also. With the rise of the Euros up the WG rankings, I think a lot of US golf fans would love to see the top Euros mixing it with the top US players.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Yep, I think it's a pity also. With the rise of the Euros up the WG rankings, I think a lot of US golf fans would love to see the top Euros mixing it with the top US players.
It's about time more US players played Euro events IMHO.

And as much as I like Rory, I don't agree with his thinking. If I were in his position, beating that course/winning that tournament would be one of my goals, not something I would purposely avoid.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I think they are both dipshits. Lee is just trying to prove some point(no idea what the point might be) on the US verses Euro Tour thing. Rory just got his ass handed to him by Sawgrass two years in a row and is pussing out now.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I think they are both dipshits.

I think you are missing the point. I guarantee that both would play in TPC if there were no restrictions to their playing in the US. Both have now bailed giving lame excuses to not playing. What we are seeing is the start of an underlying current that we will see continue until the real dipships, ie PGA Tour revert their inane policy.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I think you are missing the point. I guarantee that both would play in TPC if there were no restrictions to their playing in the US. Both have now bailed giving lame excuses to not playing. What we are seeing is the start of an underlying current that we will see continue until the real dipships, ie PGA Tour revert their inane policy.

Well... it seems pretty simple to me. Don't want to have restrictions on the number of events you can play? Take up PGA Tour membership. Why should they give an unlimited number spots to these guys over PGA Tour members that are committed to the tour? Further, The Players doesn't count against their maximum number of events.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The tough part for the Tour in all of this is that the top 25 is soon to be full of Euro's. Then what? The sponsorship dollars are sure to follow the limelight. That hurts the PGA Tour in the long run.

This could be the tip of the iceberg.

R35

🔥 Latest posts