• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Event Photography

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Apologies for not posting this earlier, but had a few things on and not had a lot of time. And sorry if this is a wee bit jumbled, but i'm typing my thoughts as they come, not done any prep.

Anyway, I thought I'd write a thread about my experiences photographing the Abu Dhabi GC, so here goes.

Prior to the event, I was worried about whether to follow certain groups, jig about between groups or stay at certain holes.

That was partially resolved for me when Monty, Vijay and Sergio were drawn in the same group. Followed immediately by Daly, Poulter and Paul Casey. There were only a handful of other golfers I was interested in seeing so it made things a bit easier in organising where to be. Plus there were four rounds so plenty of opportunity - no way was I going to miss anything.

On days one and two there were very few photographers there and any crowds tended to follow the groups I mentioned. Having a photographers pass allowed me inside the ropes so there were no problems with getting clear shots.

I was very conscious, however, of not snapping when players were lining up shots and I was very wary of trying to catch those 'turf in the air' pics as mistiming that could lead to a verbal volley from players/caddies as a couple of other guys found out. Sergio lost it a couple of times on the green.

Most of the players seemed very relaxed on day one, but the tension obviously increased as the tournament went on. For example guys may have gone through day one happily chatting with the rest of their group, smiling at the photographers and crowd - but that cameraderie notably diminished as the days went by. By day four I pretty much kept my camera hidden when the top guys were on the green, maybe just catching them walking on or off. My equipment, although ok for an amateur, made me look a wee bit sill compared to the pro photographers. But, to be honest, I didn't really care that much!

I had access to the media tent, press conferences, clubhouse and could get in the ropes so not having a great camera didnt really bother me.

Several players impressed me while I was there. Poulter, for example. Never saw him get snappy with anyone or refuse to stop for an autograph or photo. He broke off his putting practice to walk around and talk to people watching, always seemed pretty relaxed. I believe, also, that while he was here he visited a couple of schools and spent time with the kids there. Whatever his dress sense, he seemed a good bloke. John Daly got a bit of bad press for a couple of reasons, but he happily signed my programme with a "sure thing, bro", so I've no complaints!

I didn't think much of Paul Casey, but Jiminez is great. The cigars, the incident on the range with Sergio - the crowd love him and he's a chilled dude. Chris DiMarco - it was a real priviledge to have one of the top Americans over here, and great to see his wife caddying for him. He came across really well in interviews and signed my cap! Seemed a good bloke and I don't think his wife stopped smiling all week. Not sure what you Americans think of him, but he seemed ok to me.

Lots of things made an impact on me over the four days. One was the difference between the top guys and the journeymen when it comes to crowd interest. Unless there's a name in the group, you'd see threeballs playing around with no-one watching. You'd have the guys, their caddies and a couple of marshalls. Maybe a wife or g/f but no-one else cared. It was quite surreal going from a packed group, crossing a fairway and then seeing these guys going round on their own. Maybe they prefer that, I dunno. But I spent some time watching these guys just appreciating their golf. They may not be household names, but they can play and make their living from playing.

There was a 40-yr old English pro playing by the name of Stuart Little. And he has a mouse mascot clipped onto his golf bag. That tickled me.

Anyway, that's all for now. Next week it's Dubai and the Tiger Circus!

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
KA, remind me how you got inside as a photographer with free pass?
Can't recall the thread...

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Loop said:
KA, remind me how you got inside as a photographer with free pass?
Can't recall the thread...

Basically used my own golf website as legitimacy for "working within the golfing media" and Sling kindly said that if that failed, I could use Shottalk as a secondary excuse/reason.

Sling tried for some US comp last summer and started a thread on how easy it was to get media accreditation, so - on the back of his idea - I went for it. Surprisingly, I got in...

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
Basically used my own golf website as legitimacy for "working within the golfing media" and Sling kindly said that if that failed, I could use Shottalk as a secondary excuse/reason.

Sling tried for some US comp last summer and started a thread on how easy it was to get media accreditation, so - on the back of his idea - I went for it. Surprisingly, I got in...

Thanks KA. You guys have given me a great idea.
Is it the Tour or the EuroPGA that takes care of these things?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I can't help but wonder if he's suprised that he got in or that it was my idea. ;)

Loop, in my case I went to the tournament web site and hunted down media credentials, filled out a form and got a call the very next day.

I'm sure it varys from one event to another. Getting Shot talk credentials for the masters, for instance, might be an effort in futility.

🔥 Latest posts