• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever been betrayed by someone in your regular 4some???

clint

Aug 17, 2006
I know this guy who I thought was a friend. We golf together, drink beer together, and watch the game together. We've known each other for 10+ years, he was in my wedding, and my wife and I have watched his daughter over the weekend.

Well, my wife ventured out into the real estate world about a year ago...yeah I know, bad timing. Well since she's done that we've had to watch our pennies and scrape them at times. This is no secret to my so called friend. What's he do??? He lists his F&#%in' house today with some other agent in the same office as my wife no less. Did he bother to tell us??? Hell no, I guess his vagina was too chapped to bother. After all, it has been cold the last few days. What an @sshole.

So are there any members here from the Tidewater, Virginia area? I need to find some new folks to golf with.

OP
C

clint

Aug 17, 2006
Did you ask him about it?

Let's say you and I are buds. You open up a widget store. I'm in the market for a widget. I buy said widget from someone else. Would you want to go down to Myrtle Beach with me for 72 holes?

What's there to talk about?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Business between friends isn't always such a good deal. Maybe he has some crap in his past...maybe on his credit report or whatever..& he doesn't want you & your wife to know about it?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I think I'd still want to know why he did it.

Did he want an "experienced" agent over a new agent perhaps?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
There's more to the story here clint.

There MUST be a reason. If he's been your friend for 10 years he wouldn't do this for no good reason.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I agree with Sling, there must be some reason or circumstance for this to have happend.

Just talk with him. If he's been your friend for so long, he deserves the chance to explain himself.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Well, I've run an animal hospital for almost 20 years now, and I used to believe that client loyalty could be earned by doing good work, having fair prices, and being honest.

Things have changed in the last few years. People I have known for years are now buying their products on the internet instead of from me, just to save $5. They price shop everything, including euthanasias.

So if I were you, I'd follow the money trail, because some people may talk a good line, but when their wallets start getting tapped, their true nature comes out.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Personally i would say its better off.

I never do business with close friends and especially not family, especially something as big as the purchase of a house. I have seen way to many friendships go down the drain because of business.

I would say buy the man a beer for saving a possibly very bitter ending.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
There's more to the story here clint.

There MUST be a reason. If he's been your friend for 10 years he wouldn't do this for no good reason.
I can't help but agree, and if he has really been a good friend 10 years he deserves the chance to explain himself prior to making the decision to end the friendship.

The worst asking will do is end the friendship, which at this point it seems as though not asking will do the same. Not sure of the situation, but I also agree with a prior poster where it is not always good to do business with good friends or even more importantly good friends wives. In all honesty, I am not sure I would have handled it any differently outside of telling you ahead of time that I did not want to do this through your wife because I would value the friendship more than the money that either of us could make off of the sale of the house. I do have 2-3 friends involved in real estate, and if I ever sold my house I think it would be a little awkward hiring them if I intended to maintain the friendship after the sale of the house.

In the same sense, if I came into your widget shop and asked if you would sell me half of your surplus at cost because while you are the most experienced widget salesman I know, you could save me some money and are a good friend of mine. How would you feel about my asking? Just my .02 cents, and if I have a good chunk of change riding on the sale of my house, I don't want to be in a position of offending someone for the sake of making the money, in the same sense that the last house I sold the guy made what I felt was a very poor decision on his part that almost cost the sale of the house, and his option at that point was being fired or losing a big chunk of change out of his commission to remedy the situation for the hassle and aggravation it caused me. Had he not taken the cut out of his commission, not only would he have been fired by me but I would have made things very uncomfortable for his company. I would hate to think what would have happened had he been a friend, and I both never wanted to see him again nor would I ever refer him any future business. Would you really want to be in the center of a situation such as that?

If nothing else, just have him mention to his agent that if he ever finds himself in a similar circumstance to have his consider returning the favor to your wife.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
As was said, there's more to this. You should confront him about it.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
maybe he didnt want to do business with friends....sometimes that can back fire.....maybe he wanted way too much for the house and didnt want to bother your wife...maybe he thinks your wife is a pain in the azz!...j/k!!

🔥 Latest posts