• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever been hypnotized?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
3,986
3
I must have heard something on TV to make me think about this, but on my way to the office I started wondering why golfers didn't use hypnotism the way smokers and fat people do. You know, have the perfect golf swing planted in your brain and then have something in your setup trigger it.

Anyway, when I got here I went to google and sure enough there are all kinds of offers for golf hypnosis tapes and CDs. I looked at a few of the sites and to be honest they look pretty goofy. So does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? Do know anyone who's done it or have you tried it? Just curious.
 

Slingblade61

Well-Known Member
Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
6,046
129
Since you brought it up I think it only fair to let you have the first turn. :)
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
Funny you should mention that. Most pros do that very thing before every shot, kind of a mini-self-hypnosis. They call it visualization. Most pros also say that "the zone" is pretty much a state of hypnosis. I'm reading a book on mental golf, and visualization is the biggest part of it.
 
OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
3,986
3
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #4
bdcrowe said:
Funny you should mention that. Most pros do that very thing before every shot, kind of a mini-self-hypnosis. They call it visualization. Most pros also say that "the zone" is pretty much a state of hypnosis. I'm reading a book on mental golf, and visualization is the biggest part of it.

If you're finding it helpful please share the title. My girls are already bugging me for Christmas gift ideas.
 

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
6,544
4,977
Cough it up BD, I'm up for a bit of Mental Golf. Sounds cool!!

I think Tim Galweys book The Inner Game of Golf is excellent. A bit tough going at the start, but I've read it a few times and there are some good things there. Certainly helped my putting out. :innocchi
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
Most of the ones I've got right now are probably out of print-- used bookstores rule. I just finished "Mental Toughness Training for Golf" by David Graham, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But it seemed more of an additude book, which is good, just not exactly what I was looking for. I'm now reading "Mind Mastery for Winning Golf" by Robert J. Rotella and Linda K. Bunker. It's mainly a study of visualization and how to kind of "already play the shot before you play it". It pretty much says that if you are looking at a particular shot, you should already know how to hit it well, beacuse you've hit the same shot before. They use visualization to get your body to do it again.

It works on the basis of the following thoughts:
You don't have to think continually on the mechanics of driving every time you drive, because you've done it so many times that it's now 2nd nature. You can drive, eat a sandwich, flip the radio around, etc... It's kind of like in driving, you are in this little mini-hypnosis state where your subconscious takes care of most of it. Same for walking, smoking a cigarette, talking to your wife while TGC is on :).

You shouldn't feel unconfident about any shot you face if you've spent time practicing and playing, because at some point in time you've hit the same shot with great results. If you face a 205 yrd par 3 over waste and with water in the back, you shouldn't break into a cold sweat. You have, at some time, hit a 205 yard shot that ended up beautifully. Maybe not over waste, but since it ended up beautifully, the waste doesn't matter then does it? The trick is to learn how to envision yourself when you hit the great shot, envision what your swing was to get it, what your mindset was when you hit it, what the ball looked like in the air, how close it was to the pin...

That's pretty much the watered down version without all the psychology technical terms. They then give about 80 or 90 pages worth of exercises to train yourself to get there with triggers to call it up before a shot.

I'm not sure about all this hooey, but hey, it's a good read. I'm also a little apprehensive. 1st exercise performed at work about envisioning a particularly spectacular shot you've hit in the past. I do it, following the book's instructions perfectly...

...and am jerked back "away from the course" 40 minutes later by my phone ringing. I wasn't alseep, but I wasn't at work any more either. It was kind of disconcerting... Anyway, sorry for the long post and I'll keep you guys posted on how much clap is in this clap-trap.
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
IrishGolfer said:
Cough it up BD, I'm up for a bit of Mental Golf. Sounds cool!!

I think Tim Galweys book The Inner Game of Golf is excellent. A bit tough going at the start, but I've read it a few times and there are some good things there. Certainly helped my putting out. :innocchi
Oh, and yah, that was a great read. It truly takes a desperate... I mean dedicated golfer to hunker down into all this mental stuff huh? :) Take care.
 
OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
3,986
3
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #8
This is all pretty interesting. The only thing I feel sure about is that golf, like any other sport/game, is mostly played mostly between the ears.

The challenge in this case seems to be sifting through the garbage to get to the information that might actually be helpful.

bd, thanks for all the input. If that book is available I may have Santa deliver one in December. :thumbup:
 

Bravo

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
5,822
15
bdcrowe said:
Most of the ones I've got right now are probably out of print-- used bookstores rule. I just finished "Mental Toughness Training for Golf" by David Graham, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But it seemed more of an additude book, which is good, just not exactly what I was looking for. I'm now reading "Mind Mastery for Winning Golf" by Robert J. Rotella and Linda K. Bunker. It's mainly a study of visualization and how to kind of "already play the shot before you play it". It pretty much says that if you are looking at a particular shot, you should already know how to hit it well, beacuse you've hit the same shot before. They use visualization to get your body to do it again.

It works on the basis of the following thoughts:
You don't have to think continually on the mechanics of driving every time you drive, because you've done it so many times that it's now 2nd nature. You can drive, eat a sandwich, flip the radio around, etc... It's kind of like in driving, you are in this little mini-hypnosis state where your subconscious takes care of most of it. Same for walking, smoking a cigarette, talking to your wife while TGC is on :).

You shouldn't feel unconfident about any shot you face if you've spent time practicing and playing, because at some point in time you've hit the same shot with great results. If you face a 205 yrd par 3 over waste and with water in the back, you shouldn't break into a cold sweat. You have, at some time, hit a 205 yard shot that ended up beautifully. Maybe not over waste, but since it ended up beautifully, the waste doesn't matter then does it? The trick is to learn how to envision yourself when you hit the great shot, envision what your swing was to get it, what your mindset was when you hit it, what the ball looked like in the air, how close it was to the pin...

That's pretty much the watered down version without all the psychology technical terms. They then give about 80 or 90 pages worth of exercises to train yourself to get there with triggers to call it up before a shot.

I'm not sure about all this hooey, but hey, it's a good read. I'm also a little apprehensive. 1st exercise performed at work about envisioning a particularly spectacular shot you've hit in the past. I do it, following the book's instructions perfectly...

...and am jerked back "away from the course" 40 minutes later by my phone ringing. I wasn't alseep, but I wasn't at work any more either. It was kind of disconcerting... Anyway, sorry for the long post and I'll keep you guys posted on how much clap is in this clap-trap.

Michael Jordan talked about this on TV in an interview one time. He went into great depth talking about visualization. He said he could see it go into the goal before he shot it.

He talked about being in the Zone all the time....

I need to learn to visualize a huge stream of money flowing into my bank account....
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
Bravo, being the true friend that I am, I will donate 40 minutes per day of visualizing $ into your account, but I will need the account numbers, and a pin too. :)

When we getting together for a round?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Top