• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever drive under a tornado?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
The hardest thing about a tornado is choosing what club to use. I remember that time I decided to go up a couple of clubs, but the twister grabbed my ball and slung it through even faster, resulting in me ending up a mile beyond the green. Guess I should have just hit a low knockdown wedge.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I've never driven under one but I took a direct hit once.

When I was a kid we were pretty poor and lived in a trailer. We all know they are tornado magnets so it was bound to happen. Anyway, we had just moved to St. Louis from Colorado and my dad hadn't had time to install tie downs.

My mom really saved our asses because as the storm approached she grabbed me and my brother and got us to the hallway. In the end, the trailer turned over 3 times and only stopped when it hit a utility pole. None of were hurt though, which was a miracle since both my brother and I both broke through a wall and ended up under furniture. The leg of a bed frame landed 2" from my head.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sweet!

I was in a Tornado at a family reunion about 8 years ago. Super hot, muggy day. (Coincidently, the same day I sunk a ball from the fairway over 200 yards.)

We were all in a town hall, a huge dance and dinner going on. The wind picked up and started to howl. It was hot, so the front doors and side doors by the stage were open, but this proved to be a bit of a wind tunnel. It took 12 of us to pull the side door closed. Just afterwards, what sounded like a freigh train driving through a lumberyard passed just west of us. After about a minute, it was over. Cars overturned, crops pulled from the ground, roofs ripped off. It was pretty cool.

I have a bit of an attraction to natural weather phenomena. I would love to experience a hurricane for some strange reason. When it hails, I'm the guy outside watching. And don't even get me started on thunderstorms. I've been known to drive out of town to see them.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I would love to experience a hurricane for some strange reason.

R35

I've been in one of those too. My nickname should've been "Lucky." :)

It was Alicia that hit Houston in 83. It was kinda cool for about the first 2 hrs. After that I just wanted it to be over. The golf course in the neighborhood where I lived lost over 1000 trees in the storm and we were without electricity for days.

There was so much rain we were able to kayak down the streets to check the damage after.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I had a tornado come close once. They do sound just like freight trains. It happened middle of the night, the power went out and I went back to sleep. Woke up the next morning and was amazed at how much debris had been created.

Took a week to get back power, 8 days to get phone service again too.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I was working outside in Montana during a very hot summer day when with what seemed to be no warning the temperature just dropped what seemed like 40*. I got so cold that I had to scrounge around in the work truck to find something that resembled a jacket to put on. Not long after, the wind changed directions and then it dropped out of the sky. We were not close enough to get too worried - but it was close enough to watch. Still one of the strangest things to ever happen to me.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I guess if i knew that there wouldn't be devastation and loss of like, i'd like to experience both.

However, I would love for my gas to not smell like Thai food today, so one can only dream.:D

R35

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
about eight years ago sssmokin and I were 1/2 hour off the golf course and a catagory 4(?) went through the corner of Wautoma Wisconsin where sssmokin lives. Never hit his side of town but totalled out the other side and was on the ground for 20 miles, 1/2 mile wide path through the middle of big plots of forest land. My long time archery buddy had it go over his house and only take some shingles. Yet it took a giant six foot diameter oak tree out of his front yard that was only 10 yards from the house and took his new pole building and everything in it. They found his snowmobile trailer 3 miles away in the second story of the local pill factory. The lake near the golf course and the golf course lost half their trees. To this day the whole landscape looks totally different then before it hit.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Check this plate out, WBL...

R35
WIS_license-plate.jpg

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I have a bit of an attraction to natural weather phenomena. I would love to experience a hurricane for some strange reason. When it hails, I'm the guy outside watching. And don't even get me started on thunderstorms. I've been known to drive out of town to see them.R35

I am the same way...I love to go out and see a storm. When various hurricanes have passed through here I have stood outside to watch it, but we are so far north that the highest wind gusts I have stood in were only 70 mph...but I have towering trees in my yard and watching them swaying over is facinating. I'd also love to really chase a tornado for once in my life up close...

The land I am on is so hilly/rugged, the odds of a tornado touching down and staying down for a long distance are low though...there's just no flat land around here.

🔥 Latest posts