• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever feel something in your swing, and a light goes off??

$2 Nassau

Jun 4, 2007
This happened to me yesterday. I finally felt it, proper swing plane WITH lag. I don't think I've ever had proper lag...I’ve had lag but I don’t think that I was releasing properly. I was forcing lag rather than demonstrating the proper mechanics to create it. Basically just throwing my hands ahead of the ball for the purpose of….well….throwing my hands in front of the ball.

But someone mentioned to pull the butt end of the club down when you begin your downswing. That kind of made it click for me. I used my hips to start the downswing and "pull" the club, and the club just automatically fell into the inside.

I’m sure all the players on this board who are much better than I am have experienced the feeling. It’s hard to describe. Basically there was no tension, the club felt weightless on the downswing and was accelerating into impact….but it seemed like I wasn’t really doing anything. My hands were completely passive. It’s almost as if the club fell into some invisible groove that was greased with WD-40 and just slid perfectly down into the ball. I assume this is “the slot.” I tried frantically to recreate it, and was actually able to do it a couple more times!!! So hopefully I can ingrain this. Oh yeah, I hit the ball crisper then ever. Finally felt what it feels like to PROPERLY strike a golf ball. It’s almost like I knew what I was doing.

Is this what pros feel every time they swing? If I felt this every time I swung I would have to change my shorts 3 times per round due to all the excitement it would create.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Seems like you learned how to swing in the most efficient way, the pros tend to do it very well, very regularly.

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
i dono if its right or not, but sometimes I start my down swing with my lower body a split second before the upper body has completed the top. When this happens on the down swing I FEEL like the club is seriously bowed and the club head is lagging behind.

I am not sure if this is the "slot feeling" that people talk about, or if this is a swing fault. So I never bothered trying to repeat and engrave the feeling....even though the shots do go somewhat well whenever I do that.

-DVS

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Good analogy, I'm going to test it this afternoon.

OP
$

$2 Nassau

Jun 4, 2007
i dono if its right or not, but sometimes I start my down swing with my lower body a split second before the upper body has completed the top. When this happens on the down swing I FEEL like the club is seriously bowed and the club head is lagging behind.

I am not sure if this is the "slot feeling" that people talk about, or if this is a swing fault. So I never bothered trying to repeat and engrave the feeling....even though the shots do go somewhat well whenever I do that.

-DVS
That's pretty much exactly what I was doing. I've heard many times that the lower body starts the downswing while the upper body trails behind causing the lag. I could just never put it all together to make that happen, but this thought of "pulling the butt end of the club down towards the ball" with my lower body to start the downswing seems to work. For now anyway. :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, generally if you're not working on your swing I don't even think about it. And unless it feels just painfully aweful, don't do much if anything.

That is what I try to do, anyway.

The post seemed a slight bit off-topic. What I mean is that once you get that swing that just feels right, leave it alone if all goes well. Just let it be you and the ball.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Yeah that happens to me only the light goes ON for me. When the light is on, that's the time to good to the driving range and ingrain that feeling. When good lag occurs the the swing is real easy and the shot feels pure.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I had *that* moment a few weeks ago, when for the first time I could really feel that I had a genuinely repeatable swing - every shot I hit at the range felt good, and I could feel my stance, takeaway and contact felt like I was making the swing the same every time. Next time I went out onto the course I shot my best ever score by 5 strokes... :)

🔥 Latest posts