• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever get in trouble for going to a course to early?

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
We're teeing off at 5:30 now days, they're were a bit upset a couple of weeks ago when we opened the cart barn and took carts cause the employee was too hung over to show up on time.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Just wondering if any of you tee off at your home course in the morning before there is anyone in the clubhouse?.

I tee'd off by myself last week at about 6:45am (I know thats not even early). Anyways, there was no one around when I started, and when I came around the 9th hole the "pro" pulled up to me and mentioned that I wasn't allowed to Tee off before they open up in the morning.

Is that a BS rule?, I thought lots of people golfed WAY early in the morning. Should it matter if there is no staff present yet when I tee off when I'm a paying member?.

Just wondering some opinions, but I was a little annoyed with the pro saying that to me, as I didn't want to wait till 7:30 when they are currently openening and then have to play behind 4 old lady's. I just happend to wake up early that day dreaming about golf so I figured I'd go.

Whats the earliest everyone has golfed at?, and has anyone else ever gotten "in trouble" for teeing off too early?.

Fr. Chris.

It isn't even possible to play before there is anyone there, because we start work before sunrise... When I get to work for the early shift you can't even see the ball. During midsummer, whoever is scheduled to open the pro shop is there before 5:00, and the starter (me) gets there by 5:00. Part of the first shift duties for the starter is to get the carts out on the line and ready for the first players. The mowers go out 1/2 hour before sunrise, as soon as the walk mowers can see well enough to start on the greens. The first players do not go out until the greens mowers are off the 2nd green.

Sneaking on ahead of time will just get you a visit from the sheriff's department.

BTW - this is a public, daily fee course. At any time the ranger can ask to see your receipt, and if you don't have one, you can be asked to leave.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
My home course could care less if they know you. I've done it a couple of times when someone apparently over slept. But then again, they are usually in the clubhouse before the sun comes up anyway, so unless you are going to play in the dark, they are normally open.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Not around here they aren't.
I can get on a lot of courses at 6:00 am & pay $15-20 for 18 holes with a cart. Nobody it seems wants to get up that early & play when it's still cold.
Very true. It seems like anytime before 10:00am you pretty much have the course all to yourself.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I was told by the pro at my course that I belong to that I was able to play any time that I could see well enough to hit the ball if I was walking.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
My home course is the same. Members are allowed to play whenever although you have to be walking. I used to play Tuesday mornings early before the ladies league. We would tee off at 6:30 and be done before the ladies made the turn.

Not always true of some of the resort courses though. Some will let you out early if you pre pay. Some will let you pay when you come in and some won't let you out until the bag/cart boys show up to accost you in the parking lot.

A note to all cart boys - I can carry my own friggin' bag and I don't need you to clean my ratty ass clubs with your ratty ass muddy rag. Sorry for the mini rant but cart boys at "wanna be" courses are a pet peeve.

FJobe

Cobra Junkie
May 12, 2009
There is no problem at all at my home course. Usually one of the staff comes up early and opens the cart sheds for us and leaves until the course opens up. I've actually tee'd off at dawn before and have never had a problem at any courses around here.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
My local munis have no problem tee'ing off early..It's nice.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Well not many of you seem to have a problem teeing off early. Seems like a silly rule for a small country course like mine. I might bring it up with the "pro" again sometime just incase I happen to wakeup dreaming about golf again. I walk, and I'm a full member, So if other then insurance reasons, I dont see why I shouldn't be able to tee off at sunrise. I'm a very respectful guy, and would never hit at a green while they were doing work on it... Its more important to me that they get there work done, then my round would be. I mean, I play there like everyday so I of course want them to be able to change the hole location and mow in peace.

Fr Chris.

kasch

Apr 23, 2009
At the local council course here (closer to home than my 2 'home' clubs), they open the shop at 7.50am every morning. Before that, its fair game.

I used to regularly get there a bit before 6 and hit off. Walking by myself i could finish 9 holes before 7.30. From there, i'd get back in the car and head off to work or my home club(s) for a day of practice.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Yeah I can't see anybody getting off before we started work. Outside staff came in at 5:00 Am, and Pros came in at 6Am. Im pretty sure if they caught somebody teeing off at 4:30, they'd let them go with an unspoken "Crazy B*stard"

🔥 Latest posts