• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever met a pro golfer? Post your story here.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
I met Phil in a bowling alley in 1996 in Tempe, AZ.

He was with Amy and a few friends, they got a lane just a few away from me and my then girlfriend (now wife). I said "That's Phil Mickelson," she's like who tf is Phil Mickelson? We were getting ready to leave and I walked over, shook his hand and congratulated him on his success. They were all very cordial and of course Amy looked a-freakin-mazing.

I will start another thread in the "no golf for you" forum for non-golf related run-ins.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I “met” a few when I was covering the PGA Merchandise show for ST back in Orlando. Jim Furyk, Tom Watson, Paul Azinger, Will McKenzie, and not really a pro golfer but a golf teacher, Dave Pelz. Pelz was the most interesting in that he asked me questions after I walked up to him wandering around the floor to just thank him for writing his books. He wanted to know what aspects worked well for me, what my favorite parts of the books were, were there any parts I did not find useful, and we ended up having a good conversation. He seemed genuinely interested in my feedback. The other pro’s were there for sponsor appearances and it was just more of a quick polite conversation (totally expected in that environment).

The strangest aspect, for me, was how “small” the tour players seemed in person versus on TV. Pelz, on the other hand, is a lot taller than I expected.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Met a few when I went to the BMW Championship a few years ago. Was awesome!

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1598399141.720392.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1598399162.487152.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1598399181.571808.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1598399199.580925.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1598399216.957461.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1598399237.567763.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1598399255.718474.jpg

Also, I’m down 90lbs since then. Which is also pretty awesome!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I once played a few holes with two-time US Open Champion Andy North. It was a charity event here in Charlotte many years ago. He and Bobby Watkins (Lanny's brother) each played the last par three on the front (#7) and back nine (#16) with each group. Since I was in the last group Andy played in with us. He was very nice and he was one under for those three holes. The only tip he gave me was to hit one more club on my approach shots.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
When I was a kid, there was a Hall of Fame tournament in Pinehurst, which I'm 30 minutes from. My dad took me, bought me a program. We were watching this young golfer on the putting green. Daddy tells me "He's going to be great. You should get his autograph. Go ahead, he's a nice guy." It was Ben Crenshaw, and Daddy was right on all 3 counts. And yes, I lost the damn autograph! :mad:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
When I was a kid, there was a Hall of Fame tournament in Pinehurst, which I'm 30 minutes from. My dad took me, bought me a program. We were watching this young golfer on the putting green. Daddy tells me "He's going to be great. You should get his autograph. Go ahead, he's a nice guy." It was Ben Crenshaw, and Daddy was right on all 3 counts. And yes, I lost the damn autograph! :mad:
You need to change your avatar... :p

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Hey, it's better than having some grumpy old man up there...:p

When they have an actual mascot and new logo, I'll change it.
Don’t hold your breath, it may be a while.

🔥 Latest posts