• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever think you're really long, than really short in five minutes?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I had a funny experience yesterday playing a beautiful course called the Links at Gettysburg. Hole one is a slightly downhill dogleg right par 4, 365 yards. Playing downwind, I hit my 18 degree hybrid off the tee, and I piped it. The ball goes through the dogleg and into the trees, 290 yards away! (According to the card) The very next hole plays back into the same wind. I hit a solid driver in the fairway, and the sucker went a mammoth 225 yards. The wind didn't feel that bad, but it was a tough day.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
the wind was interesting here in MA this morning - I was really pleased with how I hit the ball, but for most approach shots, I was dropping two clubs and trying to keep it low and controlled. it's amazing how when you stand on the tee the wind is always in your face...

if I could have even faked a wedge game today I would have scored great. missing 5 foot birdie puts hurts too - oh well, irons were good with the wind, I'll take it

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ever think you're really long, than really short in five minutes?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wind can really play tricks with u, at my home course the wind never really touches you to about 15-20ft off the ground, but on a few of the elevated tee boxes u can feel the real wind, its about 10mph diff, can really affect ur shots.

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Lol I am not even gonna make a comment about the title of this post seeing as it would be far too easy. But yeh wind can be a bitch. Blew a little bit strong around me today but nothing terribly awful.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Aye, Its a part of the game. Its been real windy in FL due to that storm off the coast. Last week it went 195 yard 8 iron, 185 yard 3 wood. It happens.

utahgolf

Just Getting Started
Nov 4, 2007
Northern Utah
Country
United States United States
Yeah the wind has been blowing pretty bad here in Utah also.. it is amazing what little of breeze can affect yardage.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, I'd agree that sometimes that wind is up high and can really effect the flight more than what you think from the ground. I recall a round about a month and a half ago where there was a light breeze but I know it was more up high. I hit a low trajectory 5iron 8ft. from the stick, pin high, on an uphill par 3 listed at 206. That had me feeling like Mr. Tour Yardage. A few holes later I absolutely pured a drive on a par 5 and I swear it was in the air so long I already had the headcover back on my driver when it landed. I expected that drive had to have carried nearly 275yds. The guy we were playing with had a Skycaddie, it was 252. On the front I'd hit a drive a little more controlled with a little lower trajectory that had gone 274.

I think the most wind effect I've ever seen was down in Florida when I played in Boca last winter. The wind was blowing but didn't seem all that much, I'd played in more up here. They had the GPS on the carts and I hit a 303yd. drive on a par 5 followed by a 217yd. 5iron that left an 8footer for eagle.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online